[Layout Shift Metrics] CLS question

Omri Ariav

Mar 17, 2021, 6:05:34 AM3/17/21
to web-vitals-feedback
Hi all,

First, thank you for all of your efforts in making core web vitals clear and transparent.

TL;DR: Looking for ways to collapse a container without causing a layout shift in case of an error/no fill

Background:
Taboola is a discovery & native advertising platform that helps people explore what's interesting and new in the moment of next. We're a 3rd party JS code that publishers integrate on their page, rendering below article feeds and other placements

Question:
In addition to our traditional below-article placements, we have placements that are showing in the viewport or near it; we understand that fixing the container/skeleton is a way to make sure it will not cause layout shift.
What will be the best way to collapse this container in case of an error or when we don't fill the ad? which CSS approach you recommend for this situation?

Thanks
Omri.

Michal Mocny

Mar 17, 2021, 11:56:49 AM3/17/21
to Omri Ariav, web-vitals-feedback
Great question!

However, could I perhaps trouble you to post this question on Stack Overflow (using [core-web-vitals] and/or [cumulative-layout-shift] tags)?  This would make it easier for folks to find it in the future.   I'm happy to try and make sure you get a reply there!

-Michal

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Omri Ariav

Mar 21, 2021, 6:56:02 AM3/21/21
to web-vitals-feedback
Hi

Hi Michal,

We want to avoid sharing too much information about the use case in the wild, we'll appreciate a dedicated contact if possible.

Thanks
Omri

Omri Ariav

Mar 21, 2021, 6:58:03 AM3/21/21
to web-vitals-feedback

Philip Walton

Mar 22, 2021, 12:48:36 PM3/22/21
to Omri Ariav, web-vitals-feedback
Hi Omri, I've answered your second question on Stack Overflow, hopefully that is useful.

In terms of providing dedicated support, sorry, but that is not something that this team offers.

Yotam Bar On

Mar 22, 2021, 2:01:14 PM3/22/21
to web-vitals-feedback
Hi Philip,
Thank you for your answer!
I'm the Tudmotu from SO :)

We don't necessarily need a "support person", but we think maybe the StackOverflow comment section is not the easiest way of communication.
We have a lot of questions and we'll probably have a lot of back-and-forth. In addition, we are also interested in sharing from our knowledge and data to help improve Core Web Vitals - but we cannot do that in public channels unfortunately.

For now, we will keep using the suggested channels (here; StackOverflow) but if there is a more direct means of communication (even a Slack, like AMP's Slack for example), that would be greatly appreciated :)

And again, thank you for taking the time to answer the SO question.

Philip Walton

Mar 22, 2021, 4:58:25 PM3/22/21
to Yotam Bar On, web-vitals-feedback
The reason we asked you to ask the question on Stack Overflow is not just to help you :) it's to help other people who may have the same question be able to find an answer. Stack Overflow is a much more scalable way to get information out than a forum like this.

Also, keep in mind that the intent of this forum is not for Q&A, the intent is so developers experimenting with the Web Vitals metrics (especially the new metric proposals) can provide feedback on their definitions or make suggestions on how the metrics could be improved.

I know the line between question and feedback is often blurred, and when we have time we like to help answer some questions, but in general we won't have time to answer every question asked here, so we depend on community tools like Stack Overflow to help with that.

Yotam Bar On

Mar 22, 2021, 5:40:45 PM3/22/21
to Philip Walton, web-vitals-feedback
We would like to help with these definitions and provide feedback. But before we suggest improvements, we want to know if you've already encountered our use-cases and already have solutions / guidelines. Maybe we didn't understand something? Or missed it?

We have code running basically everywhere on the web and so we have literally thousands of unique real-world use-cases. We are currently measuring CWV metrics and following all the blog posts :) And we find cases where there are no clear guidelines. That's why we ask.

And as I said before, if that's how you prefer working, we will use the existing channels. It will sometimes limit our ability to share data or findings, but we will have to work around it ^_^

BTW, regarding your answer in SO - we will try the "scroll compensation" technique you suggested and if it'll work I will accept your answer :)
It might take some time to validate as this is a holiday season in Israel, apologies in advance!

Thanks

Philip Walton

Mar 22, 2021, 5:51:58 PM3/22/21
to Yotam Bar On, web-vitals-feedback
Thanks. Got it.

We definitely do want feedback in the form of:

We're trying to do X, and we don't see any guidance on the best way to do X while still getting good scores on the metrics.

But when we do get feedback like that, we'll likely collect it and integrate it into our content plan for web.dev and prioritize it based on all the other feedback we're getting. We likely won't be able to answer every question here, so Stack Overflow is still a good way to get answers from our team as well as the larger developer community.

Also note that even if we don't answer a Stack Overflow question, we do still pay attention to what questions are asked, and we use that information to help prioritize content and guidance around Web Vitals best practices.

Yotam Bar On

Mar 22, 2021, 6:05:08 PM3/22/21
to Philip Walton, web-vitals-feedback
Cool! Sounds good :)

So we can keep raising such issues (here or on SO), we will not expect an immediate response, and if we figure something on our own we will share it with you.

Again, thanks for everything!