Presentation delay

Adam Cable

Sep 7, 2023, 6:53:46 AM9/7/23
to web-vitals-feedback
Hi,

We're seeing on low-end devices that the presentation delay can be quite large.
Is there a way to debug further, or do you have any best-practice guides to help with this?

presentation-delay.png

Thanks,
Adam

Barry Pollard

Sep 7, 2023, 6:55:23 AM9/7/23
to Adam Cable, web-vitals-feedback

Adam Cable

Sep 7, 2023, 7:58:47 AM9/7/23
to web-vitals-feedback
Thank you once again, Barry!

Had an interesting case where using anchor links to content further down the page we were seeing INP >200ms, but replacing these with element.scrollIntoView() calls helped reduce to <100ms :)

Adam

Barry Pollard

Sep 7, 2023, 8:10:09 AM9/7/23
to Adam Cable, web-vitals-feedback
Very odd! Were there any other event handlers or intersection observers on the page?

Adam Cable

Sep 7, 2023, 8:54:33 AM9/7/23
to web-vitals-feedback
Yeah, there's a few event handlers & an IntersectionObserver but we just duplicated the links and tested the INP difference ;)