INP on hover

Daniel Gayle

Jun 13, 2022, 3:29:39 PM6/13/22
to web-vitals-feedback
The INP docs specifically highlight clicking, tapping, and pressing as events that it counts as an interaction, but I'd like to bring up the question about hovers.

Some sites, like my own company's site (www.crateandbarrel.com) still rely heavily on hovers for interactivity on desktop. Dropdown menus and image hover effects mostly.

There is definite latency involved in these, but this latency will never get measured by something like INP. I know the better long term solution is to use different events for these, but our PMs won't budge on the matter.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Dan Gayle
Senior Frontend Developer - Performance
Crate and Barrel

Michal Mocny

Jun 13, 2022, 3:46:14 PM6/13/22
to Daniel Gayle, web-vitals-feedback
On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 3:29 PM Daniel Gayle <dga...@crateandbarrel.com> wrote:
The INP docs specifically highlight clicking, tapping, and pressing as events that it counts as an interaction, but I'd like to bring up the question about hovers.

Some sites, like my own company's site (www.crateandbarrel.com) still rely heavily on hovers for interactivity on desktop. Dropdown menus and image hover effects mostly.

There is definite latency involved in these, but this latency will never get measured by something like INP. I know the better long term solution is to use different events for these, but our PMs won't budge on the matter.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

You can still measure these events yourself, using the Event Timing API in the field, or just using local tracing in the lab.

INP doesn't measure hover effects because there can be very many of these which the user does not consider to be a key interaction.  It would be difficult to know which hover effects are truly worth measuring.

Dan Gayle
Senior Frontend Developer - Performance
Crate and Barrel

Daniel Gayle

Jun 13, 2022, 5:06:14 PM6/13/22
to web-vitals-feedback
That's what I figured. I just wanted to confirm that was the behavior, since it is not specifically mentioned on the web.dev/inp page.

Philip Walton

Jun 13, 2022, 6:43:24 PM6/13/22
to Daniel Gayle, web-vitals-feedback
Hey Daniel, you can find the complete list of events that count toward interactions for INP here: https://web.dev/inp/#what's-in-an-interaction

Let us know if you just didn't see that content or if you think it's not clear that this is an exhaustive list.