Considering not penalize pages with loading modal above?

Admin, Arealme

Aug 5, 2021, 12:18:54 AM8/5/21
to web-vital...@googlegroups.com

Dear Web Vital team staff:

Here is a suggestion by me, it's from https://github.com/GoogleChrome/web-vitals/issues/170 and I was told to send it to the email address:

Sometimes I HAVE to rearrange the DOM nodes a few seconds later after the user's input.

For instance, using HTML2Canvas to create a local screenshot but with some updates to the DOM nodes (before taking the screenshot), while the updates are affected by some network response after the user's click action.

Here are the steps:

  1. A user clicks the submit button.
  2. A request is sent to remote, containing some information about the user.
  3. The server calculates some results and tells the client to resize some div#result's height from 200px to 500px - Please note that the client doesn't know whether it's 500 or 600 or 700 before having the response.
  4. The client renders the div#result with HTML2Canvas.

During the process, it would bring a huge CLS because the time difference between user inputs at No.1 and server result No.3 might be very long (much longer than 500ms). And it's very unfriendly to ask the user to do some action again after No.3

So what I am doing is to put a loading modal on the screen:

image

However, this doesn't change the CLS penalization.

Is there any way the CLS detection could pardon this situation?