DNS Safety 1.0 is released

rafael....@diladele.com

Sep 27, 2022, 2:54:06 AM9/27/22
to Diladele Web Safety
Hello everyone,

After long waiting the next version of DNS Safety Filter is now released as version 1.0.
The following changes are included into this version:
  • Added support for deploying DNS Safety as Microsoft Hyper-V appliance. The admin tutorial article for that is here.
  • Updater scheme switched to version 8, updates should be faster now.
  • The base OS to run the appliance is now Debian 11
  • Admin UI uses Django 4.
  • Refreshed dependencies for Admin UI  (new jQuery)
  • Internal core moved to boost 1.80, OpenSSL 3.0 and golang 1.18.6

This release is a refresh release after year of inactivity. We plan to improve DNS Safety more this coming year.

The virtual appliance images can be downloaded from here:

As always list of open issues is available on GitHub. Please do not hesitate to add more if something is missing or needs to be improved.

Best regards,
Dev Team

pcl...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2022, 1:20:12 AM9/28/22
to Diladele Web Safety
Great news, thanks Raf!

pcl...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2022, 4:55:17 AM9/28/22
to Diladele Web Safety
I'm getting an error when trying to restore config (dnssafety_backup_0.16.0.F48A_2022_09_28):

" raise Exception("Unsupported minor number in version %s" % version) Exception: Unsupported minor number in version 0.16"

A 0.15 restore works fine, however the backup is 2 years old. ;-(

rafael....@diladele.com

Sep 28, 2022, 9:18:03 AM9/28/22
to Diladele Web Safety
Yes I will take a look and get back to you. The internals of 1.0 is not different from 0.16 in terms of configuration.
Should not be a problem to upgrade..

rafael....@diladele.com

Sep 30, 2022, 9:30:14 AM9/30/22
to Diladele Web Safety

In /opt/dnssafety-ui/var/console/frame/models.py line 177, add the ,"16" to the array of versions to upgrade from, so that it looks like:

if minor not in ["0", "6", "7", "8", "9", "10", "11", "12", "13", "14", "15", "16"]:

Reboot the box and try to import zip file from 0.16 again.

Mark Williams

Nov 15, 2022, 4:49:09 AM11/15/22
to Diladele Web Safety
did log rotation get fixed?  I used a cron script to prune created reports directory, although the /etc/logrotate.d/dnssafety could be configured to create only x days of reports afterwards

rafael....@diladele.com

Nov 17, 2022, 2:43:35 AM11/17/22
to Diladele Web Safety
For now no :( the 1.0 is just 0.16 rebuilt for Debian 11.
We plan to work on it earlier next year.

raf