WhatsApp Windows Desktop application

Milton

Aug 25, 2023, 11:10:50 AM8/25/23
to Diladele Web Safety
Hello everyone! I need your help.

I need to access the WhatsApp desktop application on Windows.

I have HTTPS decryption set Disabled and Excepted:

.whatsapp.com
.whatsapp.net

This way works in web browsers but doesn't work in the app.

When opening the application it never finishes loading the QR code and after a while it offers the option to reload it but it still doesn't work.

My organization decided not to enable HTTPS filtering, is there a way to get it to work without enabling it?

Thank you all!error_QR.png

rafael....@diladele.com

Aug 26, 2023, 3:09:42 AM8/26/23
to Diladele Web Safety
Hello Milton,

You would need to see what additional domains need to be excluded from filtering.
Usually this is directly visible in the UI/Squid/Log/Access Log - just make sure you have one client accessing the proxy of filter by client IP - and reproduce the problem.

Then try adding those domain that the whats app made connection to one by one in UI/Squid/Global Exclusions, checking if it fixes the problem.

Best regards,
Rafael

Milton

Sep 5, 2023, 8:01:47 AM9/5/23
to web-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

The WhatsApp desktop traffic is not recorded in the squid log. It's weird, it's like the traffic from the application doesn't reach the proxy.

I did a packet capture with Wireshark and Fortinet (we use Forti Firewall), I added the IPs as exceptions in the proxy and it didn't work.

I also tried leaving the user as a proxy exception and it didn't work. (squid/exclude/user/ip/list).

I left it working leaving an exception locally on the computers, except the domain web.whatsapp.com* and I manage it to the permission by IP in a Forti group. (use the same IPs that I managed to capture with Wireshark)