Service Monitoring with SNMP - Zabbix

Milton

Aug 17, 2023, 10:55:09 AM8/17/23
to Diladele Web Safety
Hello everyone!

I have Stable version 8.5 installed and I want to monitor proxy server services in Zabbix. With zabbix-agent I was able to monitor the basic hardware resources of the virtual machine. But I am interested in monitoring the specific services of the proxy.

I want to know this version is compatible with SNMP and if you have any information on how to configure it.

Among the zabbix templates I found a compatible one for SQUID 3.5.

Thanks!

Rafael Akchurin

Aug 17, 2023, 10:57:42 AM8/17/23
to web-s...@googlegroups.com

Hello Milton,

Sorry we have no experiences whatsoever with monitoring.

The squid proxy itself is stock from Debian testing so it should support any SNMP configs.

It is though Squid 5.7 in Web Safety 8.5 so not sure if templates from 3.5 will be appropriate.

Please share your findings.

Best regards,

Rafael

Steve Scotter

Aug 17, 2023, 1:05:30 PM8/17/23
to Diladele Web Safety
Hi,

I'm currently trailing  Diladele , but have been manually running a Squid proxy and monitoring it with Zabbix for some time so I thought I'd share what I've done on my non Diladele proxy, in the hope you can either configure SNMP via the Diladele user interface (I haven't specifically looked for it, but I haven't found it while testing  Diladele either) OR that there is a supported way to add raw Squid configuration via the UI (I'm pretty sure I stumbled upon that on my travels)

This is what I have in my non Diladele squid configuration

snmp_port 161

acl zabbix_proxy_ip                     src                     A.B.C.D/32
acl zabbix_proxy_snmp_community         snmp_community          something_secure

snmp_access allow zabbix_proxy_snmp_community zabbix_proxy_ip

snmp_access deny all

I then add the "Template App Squid SNMP" template to the host. Don't forget to add a SNMP "interface" to the host and add the same community string you set in the squid proxy (the value you set snmp_community to above). I can't remember if the "Template App Squid SNMP" template came preloaded (i'm running v6.0) or if I imported it from a template on share.zabbix.com. The comment in the template I have refer to https://www.zabbix.com/forum/zabbix-suggestions-and-feedback/409339-discussion-thread-for-official-zabbix-template-squid

I've just checked, there's no local firewall restricting access on my trial edition of Diladele so you shouldn't have any connectivity issues.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Steve

Milton

Aug 17, 2023, 1:51:20 PM8/17/23
to Diladele Web Safety
Thank stephen  and rafael !

Yes, between my tests I configured and used that template but in my virtual machine running WebSafety 8.5.

The only items that worked correctly are:

Squid: Service ping.

I am investigating how to configure these items but with the OID that I have from diladele... (the question is to find out)

I'll keep trying, if I find something I'll share it.

Greetings!

rafael....@diladele.com

Aug 18, 2023, 3:34:18 AM8/18/23
to Diladele Web Safety
Should we try adding the UI for managing Squid SNMP directives in the next version?
Will it be helpful in your deployments?

Steve Scotter

Aug 18, 2023, 3:51:08 AM8/18/23
to Diladele Web Safety
Hi Rafael,

I'd say it would be useful to me and others to be able to configure SNMP via the  diladele / Web Safety GUI. #featurerequest ;)

Regards

Steve

rafael....@diladele.com

Aug 21, 2023, 6:01:19 AM8/21/23
to Diladele Web Safety
Hello Steve,

Please if you have time - take a look at SNMP implementation in new development version of web safety 8.7

The UI looks like the attached screenshot.
Hope you will find it useful.

Best regards,
Rafael
snmp_ws_87.png

rafael....@diladele.com

Aug 21, 2023, 6:02:19 AM8/21/23
to Diladele Web Safety
It is vmware ova forgot to say (hope you have esxi/vsphere somewhere to deploy)

rafael....@diladele.com

Aug 21, 2023, 6:04:29 AM8/21/23
to Diladele Web Safety
Sorry the link is of course https://packages.diladele.com/websafety-va/8.7/websafety.zip , not 8.5 :)

Steve Scotter

Aug 22, 2023, 6:40:55 AM8/22/23
to Diladele Web Safety
I'm on holiday this week but I'll see what I can do on my return. Thanks!

Steve Scotter

Jan 17, 2024, 11:33:31 AMJan 17
to Diladele Web Safety
Hi Rafael,

Apologies for the considerable time its taken to get back to you... you know how busy working in IT can be!

Today I've had an opportunity to deploy a 8.7 instance and can confirm the SNMP works like a charm. Thankyou!

# snmpwalk -v2c -c ChangeMe A.B.C.D:3401 .1.3.6.1.4.1.3495.1.1
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3495.1.1.1.0 = INTEGER: 5360
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3495.1.1.2.0 = INTEGER: 0
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3495.1.1.3.0 = Timeticks: (1441298) 4:00:12.98