Are there any plans to add WebUI to manage contents of /opt/websafety/var/spool/exclusion_lists/custom.json ?

Steve Scotter

Jan 26, 2024, 6:37:10 AMJan 26
to Diladele Web Safety
Hi @Rafael,

I was wondering if there are any plans to to add WebUI to manage contents of /opt/websafety/var/spool/exclusion_lists/custom.json ? I'm using custom.json to manage network level exclusions and I'm frequently getting caught out manually updating the file and missing a or having an unrequired comma. I was considering quickly developing a little webapp to manage it, but if there are already plans add something to the WebUI I won't bother.

Unfortunately I'm not a python developer, if I was I would develop the code and share it with you! Any solution I come up with will likely be PHP based.

I appreciate I could make use of the existing UI at  `/squid/exclude/domain/name/list`, but I prefer to bundle exclusions as it generally makes more sense (for me) to do so. Here's an brief example of what I've got in custom.json currently.

[
    {
        "id": "custom_exclusion_linux_update_servers",
        "version": 1,
        "name": "Linux update servers",
        "comment": "",
        "rules": {
            "domain_name": [
                {
                    "value": "deb.debian.org",
                    "comment": ""
                },
                {
                    "value": "archive.ubuntu.com",
                    "comment": ""
                },
                {
                    "value": "archive.canonical.com",
                    "comment": ""
                },
                {
                    "value": "esm.canonical.com",
                    "comment": ""
                },
                {
                    "value": "security.canonical.com",
                    "comment": ""
                }
            ]
        }
    },
    {
        "id": "custom_exclusion_tailscale",
        "version": 1,
        "name": "Tailscale servers",
        "comment": "",
        "rules": {
            "domain_name": [
                {
                    "value": ".tailscale.com",
                    "comment": ""
                },
                {
                    "value": ".tailscale.io",
                    "comment": ""
                }
            ]
        }
    }
]

Rafael Akchurin

Jan 26, 2024, 8:07:58 AMJan 26
to web-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello Steve,

The custom exclusion list idea was supposed to be useful for MSP which have common exclusion lists for all deployments and which could be hosted and downloaded​ automatically to all instances of web safety. But we have yet to implement that.

This idea actually means the UI for custom exclusion lists is not to be run in the Admin UI itself but externally somewhere 🙁

Best regards,
Rafael

Jan 26, 2024, 9:04:36 AMJan 26
to Diladele Web Safety
Ok, I'll develop something internally which fits our needs. Thanks for your response.

Steve