discord added as exception, but site will not load

TJ Hayes

Jun 20, 2021, 12:25:33 AM6/20/21
to Diladele Web Safety
My kids want to use the discord web app (discord.com/app) on a PC on our home network. I have the mac address for the PC blocked by my router's firewall for ports 80 and 443.

I added .discord.com as an exception under the policy, and I applied the settings in web safety.

When my kids open a browser to discord.com/app, the page will not load. It does not display a "blocked by the proxy" warning page. But, the normal discord.com interface will not load in the browser window. The web safety Traffic Monitor shows discord.com and other discord related sites, but does not show any are blocked.

Any tips to get it working?

rafael....@diladele.com

Jun 21, 2021, 4:17:20 AM6/21/21
to Diladele Web Safety
Hello TJ,

It might be some part of the discord app just does not like being inspected/filtered.
I would run a wireshark capture to see what domains are accessed to when the app is stated/operational.

Then add all those to the exclusions.

Best regards,
Raf

rafael....@diladele.com

Jun 21, 2021, 4:18:27 AM6/21/21
to Diladele Web Safety
Ot it might also be discord uses web sockets - which squid 4 does not support out of the box. If an connection is added to exclusion - then it is not gets decrypted and proxy does not know what is in the stream of bytes - thus discord will work most probably.

TJ Hayes

Jun 21, 2021, 1:35:45 PM6/21/21
to Diladele Web Safety
Great. Thanks for the tips. I'll try the wireshark capture and see what I learn.