No sound from patches created on my machine

Brandon James

Sep 28, 2010, 6:26:13 PM9/28/10
to web-pure-data
Hi Chris

I recently came across this project while searching for options for
an interactive website project I'm working on, and it's exactly what I
need. I'd love to help if I can.

I've already ported several dsp objects (max~, min~, wrap~,
samphold~, sig~), but I've been unable to test them to see if they
actually work, because tests.html doesn't seem to like patches created
with my copy of PD. They're in the unittests folder with a .png to
match, and added to the array in pd.js. The png shows up fine on the
index screen, but when I try to run the patch I get no sound. The
included pd files work fine, until I open and resave them, then the
same problem.

Does it matter that I'm using PD Extended? Does the version matter?
I'm using 0.41.4. on XP.

Thanks for you're time and great work!

Brandon

Brandon James

Sep 28, 2010, 7:56:26 PM9/28/10
to web-pure-data
I just set up a dedicated pc with PD vanilla 0.42.5 and still have the
same problem.

For instance, if I open the test for "line~" in PD, change nothing,
and then save it over the original file, I get no sound.
It seems not to be finding the patch at all.

Debug output says:
debug: Graph:
[object Object]
debug: Starting audio.

Should I be doing something differently?

Chris McCormick

Sep 28, 2010, 9:48:25 PM9/28/10
to web-pu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon,

I'm on holiday but will check this for you when I get back on Friday. Excited about yr new objects!

One thing to note is "connection fanning" with multiple patch chords to a single inlet/outlet is not yet supported. If you need that I'll add it on the weekend.

Cheers,

Chris.

Brandon James

Sep 28, 2010, 11:36:08 PM9/28/10
to web-pure-data
Thanks a lot Chris. Yeah, connection fanning would be pretty much
essential.
Please let me know where else you could use some help on this, as I'd
like to see it up and running in as full a form as possible, and I
don't expect the remaining dsp objects to take too much time since
they can basically be copied right from the PD source, with a little
fiddling.
I'm new to javascript, but it seems pretty straight foward so far.

Have a great holiday!

Brandon

On Sep 28, 9:48 pm, Chris McCormick <ch...@mccormick.cx> wrote:
> Hi Brandon,
>
> I'm on holiday but will check this for you when I get back on Friday. Excited about yr new objects!
>
> One thing to note is "connection fanning" with multiple patch chords to a single inlet/outlet is not yet supported. If you need that I'll add it on the weekend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris.

chrism

Oct 1, 2010, 6:42:11 AM10/1/10
to web-pu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon,

Could you send me an example of a patch you are having trouble with,
and I'll see what's going on?

Cheers,

Chris.

--
-------------------
http://mccormick.cx

Brandon James

Oct 1, 2010, 4:19:32 PM10/1/10
to web-pu...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing. One thing I noticed was that the file sizes are not the same, but the text in notepad is.

Attached is a copy of unittest line~ that I've opened with PD and resaved.
line~.pd

chrism

Oct 3, 2010, 10:13:22 PM10/3/10
to web-pu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon,

I'm not sure what's going on here. The file you sent me is identical to
the one in the repository. Both are 278 bytes, and doing a 'diff' shows
no differences at all. Very strange! Maybe the issue is something else.
What happens if you don't load the file in Pd and then save it again -
just reload a few times in Firefox?

Chris.

--
-------------------
http://mccormick.cx

Brandon James

Oct 4, 2010, 3:51:52 AM10/4/10
to web-pu...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like I screwed up and sent the wrong file. Sorry. Here's a copy of a good patch, a bad patch, and a screenshot of both opened in notepad and showing their properties so you can see what I mean.

It looks like the good file has 'newline's (or something), while the bad one doesn't. Good file is 278 bytes compared to bad's 291.

Thanks
pdtests.zip

Brandon James

Oct 4, 2010, 4:38:04 AM10/4/10
to web-pure-data
Okay, this is definitely the problem. I opened a broken patch in
notepad and pasted a (what I presume is a 'newline' symbol) after
every semicolon, and the patch worked again.

So now I know what's happening, but have no idea why.
Or why the bad file would be bigger.

As a workaround for now I guess I can manually add the returns in
notepad so that I can start testing these objects and pushing code
through, but for a real patch that's not really feasible.
I don't think I can use a macro to do it because it's not a normal
character.

Is there some setting I don't know about that interprets the way the
files are saved on my computer?
Or could it be an OS issue?
I'm just fishing.

Thanks again,
Brandon
>  pdtests.zip
> 82KViewDownload

Chris McCormick

Oct 4, 2010, 11:15:57 AM10/4/10
to web-pure-data
Hey Brandon,

This is almost certainly an OS issue that I should fix in WebPd. Basically I need to change the regex which splits lines to use \r\n as well as just \n. I'll try to make that change tomorrow. Can you send me a non-working file to test with?

Thanks for tracking this down.

Cheers,

Chris.

"Brandon James" <xbrando...@gmail.com> wrote:

Brandon James

Oct 4, 2010, 10:28:06 PM10/4/10
to web-pu...@googlegroups.com
No problem. Here are 3 random tests from the unittests folder. Both the originals and after being saved on my computer. The ones I saved are marked "bad_".
3 bad tests.zip

chrism

Oct 5, 2010, 1:47:04 AM10/5/10
to web-pu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Brandon,

I've just pushed a fix for this to my bzr repo, and the Google code
repository. Could you try it out and let me know if it works for you?
You should be able to do:

bzr pull http:///mccormick.cx/dev/webpd/

To get the changes, although you may need to do a `bzr merge` instead
of `bzr pull` if it doesn't work.

Cheers,

Chris.

--