WorldEnglish.Bible and preparing for print

Kahunapule Michael Johnson

Mar 17, 2016, 9:27:50 PM3/17/16
to web-...@googlegroups.com
Grace and peace to you in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ!

The World English Bible text continues to be refined. For the main 66 books of the Old and New Testaments, an intensive proofreading pass is in progress, right now, mostly focusing on punctuation consistency with modern English. In the Deuterocanon,* the books "Song of the Three Young Men", "Daniel and Susanna", and "Bel and the Dragon" have been merged into the existing text of Daniel to form the book Daniel (Greek). (It is named so because those three sections are found in Daniel in the Greek Septuagint, but not in the traditional Hebrew Text.) This is the same thing done in translations like the New American Bible Revised Edition.

All 66 books of the protocanon (Old and New Testament) of the World English Bible are essentially done, but well-justified and minor tweaks are still being considered. No major changes will be considered.

In the Deuterocanon, the following books are essentially done: Tobit, Judith, Esther (Greek), Psalm 151, and Daniel (Greek).

*Note: different people call different books found in the Bibles of various Christian denominations that are not found in the main 66 books of the Old and New Testaments different things, often categorizing them as "Deuterocanon, Apocrypha, or Pseudepigrapha on a book-by-book basis. Calling them Deuterocanon/Apocrypha with the slash gets a bit tedious. An idea of the status of recognition of each book is given in the introduction to each of these books in the World English Bible. For more about that, please see the World English Bible Frequently Asked Questions.

The World English Bible is now available in more formats that are updated regularly, including PDF, Microsoft Word, Crosswire Sword, ePub 3, Amazon Kindle .mobi, HTML, and InScript. It is also available with both U. S. and British/Commonwealth spelling. There are also editions that include book orders from the following traditions: Protestant (66 books only), Catholic (same book set as the New American Bible Revised Edition), and Ecumenical (Apocrypha/Deuterocanon placed between the Old and New Testament). Please see WorldEnglishBible.org or WorldEnglish.Bible for details. (Both of those web addresses lead to the same content.)

Although there is currently a print edition of the whole World English Bible available, there is room for improvement in the typography. Compare the preview at Amazon.com and this PDF file and you might see what I mean. Also, the current print-on-demand edition uses thicker paper than the nicer Bibles, and is only paper bound. Once we are done with the current proofreading pass, we will start a more serious fundraising drive for a traditional print run, including leather binding, nice Bible paper, typesetting like the PDF sneak preview (but with better table of contents and front matter), and red letter printing.

Please pray for this project, that it would please God in every way, and that I would be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading, especially in matters of timing.

Any questions?
--
Your partner in electronic Bible publishing,

MICHAEL JOHNSON
PO BOX 881143
PUKALANI HI 96788-1143

USA