Proxying to live services with WI via OExchange

Will Meyer

Sep 22, 2011, 1:06:56 PM9/22/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
Like the work Glenn has been doing on UX for Web Intents using live
services[1], I've been experimenting with real-world cases as well.
As part of that I stood up a proxy that shims Web Intents on top of
any OExchange-compatible service ("Target" in that definition).
Provided with a service's descriptor, it registers it as a web intent
handler for "share" intents, then you can initiate activities to those
via the proxy.

e.g. Instapaper :
http://www.oexchange.org/tools/webintents/proxy-registrar.php?x=http://www.instapaper.com/oexchange.xrd

e.g. any service AddThis is integrated with, such as Facebook:
http://www.oexchange.org/tools/webintents/proxy-registrar.php?x=http://api.addthis.com/oexchange/0.8/xrd/facebook.xrd

Clearly a few too many proxies for taste, but useful in understanding
limitations and options. I'll share recent comments on the WI spec
from the exercise as well.

1: http://codebits.glennjones.net/webintents/wi-register-intent.html

Paul Kinlan

Sep 22, 2011, 4:08:44 PM9/22/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
This is seriously awesome.  I will reply properly tomorrow (just in Prague practicing for a presentation).

I noticed one thing.  When testing http://twitter.com/oexchange.xrd through your generator, the disposition is "text/uri-list" - it should be "inline" or "window".   With twitter I would prefer inline as it is their "Twitter intent" widget.

Paul Kinlan
Developer Advocate @ Google for Chrome and HTML5

Will Meyer

Sep 22, 2011, 9:31:47 PM9/22/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
> I noticed one thing.  When testing http://twitter.com/oexchange.xrd through
> your generator, the disposition is "text/uri-list" - it should be "inline"
> or "window".

Sorry, that was a dumb bug. Fixed. Its "window" now (the only mode
the proxy currently supports)

Paul Kinlan

Sep 23, 2011, 6:20:41 AM9/23/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
The proxy supports "inline" too.  If it is not, I will investigate.

Will Meyer

Sep 23, 2011, 6:44:43 AM9/23/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
> The proxy supports "inline" too.  If it is not, I will investigate.

Mine doesn't (because the OExchange interface inherently doesn't).