Can intents specify a list of potential mime types?

Rick Byers

Dec 23, 2011, 11:21:23 AM12/23/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Say I want to use pick to let a user insert an image or video into a post (eg. social network site, e-mail client, etc.).  Do I really need to give the user two buttons (insert image, insert video), or can we come up with some way that I can request a pick for images OR videos (eg. support an array of mime types for intents with output data only)?  I certainly don't want to let them choose other file types - so showing for example a contact app that picks contacts would be the wrong behavior.

Thanks,
   Rick

Paul Kinlan

Dec 23, 2011, 11:28:05 AM12/23/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
We had the definition via the intent tag support a comma seperated list of types, but the intent passed in startAction was alway either very specific (image/png), general type specific (image/*) or carte blanche (*).  I think that given that data types might not be unilaterally nested under a major type we should consider this further.

Paul Kinlan
Developer Advocate @ Google for Chrome and HTML5