Could webintents.org be made to serve via https?

Rick Byers

Dec 29, 2011, 2:10:01 PM12/29/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
The instructions suggest loading the shim directly from http://webintents.org/.  This won't work well for sites served via https (eg. Chrome will block the script and present a warning, user must click 'Load Anyway' and then the page reloads).  Could webintents.org be setup to also serve via https to avoid this problem?

Of course I can always just download a snapshot of the shim and serve it myself, but I think I want the shim to auto-update.  That said I also want the shim to support running off-line, so my next request will probably be to get app-cache enabled for it <grin>.  If I'm better off just managing my own snapshot of the shim then I'm OK doing that too.

Thanks,
   Rick

Paul Kinlan

Dec 30, 2011, 5:16:54 AM12/30/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com

re:appcache the code is all set up to do it I just disabled it because it is a nightmare to manage and develop.

Re:https the certificate request for https is in progress still after a month due to the fact I can't get it verified.

Paul Kinlan

Dec 30, 2011, 5:51:11 AM12/30/11
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
App Cache is now enabled and serving.  It should actually reduce the load on the app engine instance.

At the moment we have a couple of clients embedding it (such as psykopaint) and as such the API is pretty stable so that debugging shouldn't need to be done as much.

Paul Kinlan
Developer Advocate @ Google for Chrome and HTML5

Rick Byers

Jan 3, 2012, 5:09:07 PM1/3/12
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul!
Do you see any resolution to the https issue in the near future, or should I just take a snapshot myself?

Thanks,
   Rick

Paul Kinlan

Jan 4, 2012, 11:14:55 AM1/4/12
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you can take a snapshot as it relies on the same origin policy for the localStorage and https is seperate to http.. (this itself is going to cause some issues as I force it to always use https)

Rick Byers

Jan 4, 2012, 12:17:02 PM1/4/12
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
Oh, of course - thanks.  Seems pretty important to get it serving from https then.

Rick

Paul Kinlan

Jan 4, 2012, 12:21:36 PM1/4/12
to web-i...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I am on it again now that I am back.