Coldest on Monday night: Cavendish (Suffolk) 4.0°C min / Coolest on Tuesday: Lerwick 11.7°C max / Warmest: Coton in the Elms (Derbyshire) and Northolt 26.3°C max / Wettest: Tiree 12 mm

Colin Youngs

Jun 21, 2022, 3:48:33 PM6/21/22
to Weather and Climate
Tuesday 21st June 2022

Meteosat MSG satellite picture from Ferdinand Valk’s site at 12.00 UTC http://www.fvalk.com/images/Day_image/MSG-1200-EUR.jpg

Meteosat MSG satellite picture from Bernard Burton’s site at 12.00 UTC http://www.woksat.info/etcaef21m/aef21-msg-1200-uk.html

MetopB satellite picture from Bernard Burton’s site at 10.33 UTC http://www.woksat.info/etcaef21/aef21-1033-b-uk.html

UK min. temps on Monday night https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/tn_uk.png

Shobdon 5.3°C, Writtle (Essex) 5.2°C, Topcliffe and Rostherne (Cheshire) 5.1°C, Bala, Sennybridge and Goudhurst (Kent) 5.0°C, Whitechurch (Pembrokeshire) 4.9°C, Ravensworth (North Yorks) and Santon Downham 4.7°C, Cavendish (Suffolk) 4.0°C.

Thomastown (NI), Edinburgh Gogarbank and Mumbles 12.6°C, Armagh Observatory and Aberdeen Dyce 12.8°C, Guernsey Airport 12.9°C, Chillingham Barns (Northumberland) 13.0°C, Killowen (NI) 13.4°C, Jersey Airport 14.6°C, St Helier (Jersey) 14.8°C.

UK max. temps on Tuesday https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/txint_uk.png

Lerwick 11.7°C, Baltasound 12.2°C, Kirkwall 13.7°C, South Uist 14.8°C, Stornoway 14.9°C, Ballypatrick, Tiree and Machrihanish 15.3°C, Wick 15.6°C, Giant’s Causeway and Aultbea 15.7°C.

Capel Curig and Hull 25.5°C, Leconfield and Chertsey 25.6°C, Santon Downham and Slough (Cippenham Water Works) 25.7°C, Wisley 25.8°C, Kew Gardens 26.1°C, Heathrow 26.2°C, Coton in the Elms (Derbyshire) and Northolt 26.3°C.

OGIMET summary https://tinyurl.com/2mj3pnhf

Rainfall radar https://en.meteox.com/en-gb/?fc=0&imagetype=radareuropa24uurwsg84 or https://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&soort=loop24uur&URL

UK rainfall totals in 24 hours to 18.00 UTC on Tuesday https://tinyurl.com/yd3kmvbc

Achnagart (Glenshiel), Braemar and Dalwhinnie 5 mm, Balmoral and Kinloss 6 mm, Fyvie Castle and Lossiemouth 7 mm, Port Ellen (Islay) 8 mm, South Uist and Aviemore 9 mm, Tiree 12 mm.

Sferics http://en.blitzortung.org/historical_maps.php?map=10
Review – 24 h Loop

Location of observing sites https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-synoptic-and-climate-stations

Colin Youngs
Brussels

Julian Mayes

Jun 21, 2022, 6:37:19 PM6/21/22
to Weather and Climate
I have to confess that I misled Colin about the Leconfield max - as some may have seen from elsewhere, the max transmitted is 26.6C making it the warmest place in the UK.    I wrote it as 25.6C by mistake because Hull was 25.5C. Hull is a warm site so this high max at Leconfield seems rather surprising (that's my excuse anyway!).  We have to go with 26.6 unless we hear otherwise.

Julian

Julian Mayes

Jun 21, 2022, 6:46:55 PM6/21/22
to Weather and Climate
As you may have seen if you watched the BBC weather at 1030pm, the Leconfield temp was rounded up to 27C - the highest hourly temp was <25C so there must have been a large spike there, tho' this sometimes does happen  - this kind of thing results in considerable debate between Colin and myself!     I remain surprised because the Hull site is slightly sheltered and on the warm side as a result.

Julian

Julian Mayes

Jun 22, 2022, 8:55:21 AM6/22/22
to Weather and Climate
A informative PS from twitter later last night.     The Met office tweeted the temperature, were then asked about the max, MO tweet staff then informed us that the max occurred at 11 minutes past the hour (I think it was 2pm).  The preceding SYNOP was only 24.9C, the equal highest hourly of the day.   If you follow the right people, twitter is the place for useful weather information now.  (it is  big IF, I know  :)  )

Julian