Stratus in SW

xmetman

Sep 28, 2016, 6:52:15 AM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate

Bits and pieces of stratus drifting across the sky in Bradninch, the temperature is now just above 21°C and managing to keep it at bay, but it's more likely down to Dartmoor.

I notice this is not the case for Cornwall and the west and north Devon, base looks like its around 700 to 800 ft amsl, but lower in the west.

I just wonder how much longer it will still this way!

xmetman

Sep 28, 2016, 7:53:49 AM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Spoke too soon - now we have 7 oktas - invaded with a low level 'lenticular' smooth appearance to it, from the flow over the hills. Not really affected the temperature which is around 21.9°C now.

xmetman

Sep 28, 2016, 8:55:42 AM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate
The stratus has broken again and it's now 22.7°C, with some nice very high lenticular AC above it, which is somewhat of a rarity in this part of Devon.

xmetman

Sep 28, 2016, 9:20:30 AM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Looking at the latest Camborne ascent for 1100 UTC today the 1000-850 hPa partial thickness is a whopping 568.6 dam, and the freezing level is just shy of 15,000 feet, it's no wonder we are getting dewpoints of 17°C and temperatures of 23°C this late in September.

Nick Gardner

Sep 28, 2016, 2:05:24 PM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Bruce, a maximum of 23.2°C here and a DP of 20.0°C. With just a light breeze the air felt warm and humid, helped by 9 hours of glorious sunshine.

I haven't checked but I suspect that it is the latest date I've ever recorded for a DP of 20°C.

An 'ansome day and a pleasant return to summer.

--
Nick Gardner
Otter Valley, Devon

Len Wood

Sep 28, 2016, 6:02:52 PM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate
You lucky lucky person Nick.
The odd glimpse of the sun this morning then light drizzle for the rest of the day.
Sopping wet and very nasty in this part of Devon.

Len
Wembury and Ivybridge, SW Devon