Freezing rain and snow

Julian Mayes

Dec 2, 2023, 5:58:23 PM12/2/23
to Weather and Climate
Much discussion on twitter regarding the heavy snow in south Cumbria today and the role of the streamer / convergence line over Irish Sea.  Bad luck for them to get another dose of snow right now.  Interesting that the latest article on developments in forecasting in Weather (Young and Grahame) focused on meso-scale features such as convergence lines for the most recent period.

But now a confirmed report of freezing rain in the New Forest area (twitter) - radar showing it in more areas too into SE Wales, not confirmed.  But worrying in view of the temps remaining below zero across so many southern areas this evening.

Julian

jack.h...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2023, 12:05:28 PM12/3/23
to Weather and Climate
Freezing rain is a real pain.  I once had to delay taking my mother-in-law to the station - yes freezing rain can be that bad.

Jack

Len

Dec 3, 2023, 3:35:40 PM12/3/23
to Weather and Climate
My mother- in-law was lovely and so it follows that freezing rain can be that good.

Len