Ouch!! Overnight Tues/Weds

Graham Easterling

Dec 3, 2021, 9:05:16 AM12/3/21
to Weather and Climate
Only a forecast, but I don't recall seeing a 'black' swell in the SW approaches all last winter. Long period (19secs in west Cornwall) as well.

2021-12-03 10_14_36-Capture.png
Porthleven will be packed if that come's about. No doubt will news reporters close to the waters edge telling the listening public there are hoards of stupid people close to the waters edge.

Well of course there will be, what a photo opportunity!

Graham
Penzance

Len W

Dec 3, 2021, 11:40:49 AM12/3/21
to Weather and Climate
Just coming off Spring tides too but still quite high.
Could be southerly gale which is not good for Wembury.

Len

Graham Easterling

Dec 3, 2021, 3:07:23 PM12/3/21
to Weather and Climate
Indeed,

I'm probably telling you something you already know, but storm surge forecasts are available for Plymouth. Giving forecast variances from the Astronomical tide.

2021-12-03 20_02_46-Capture.png
Offshore winds in Plymouth for the next couple of days. No data freely available for the north Cornish coast sadly.

Graham
Penzance

Len W

Dec 4, 2021, 7:08:47 AM12/4/21
to Weather and Climate
Thanks Graham.
I had forgotten about that website.

Len

Len W

Dec 6, 2021, 2:28:10 PM12/6/21
to Weather and Climate
0.5 m above astronomical tide predicted here.
So on top of Spring tides in the morning will give a bit more coastal erosion.
Untitled.png
Len
Wembury

Graham Easterling

Dec 6, 2021, 2:48:23 PM12/6/21
to Weather and Climate
On top of which a swell height peaking near 30ft coming into Mount's Bay.

Praa Sands for tomorrow, the big powerful long period swell being close to high tide. There will be wave setup surges on top of the model forecasts, which don't take into account the affect of surges associated with  big wave sets, the time period is too short, typically 2-3 minutes.

2021-12-06 19_42_06-Capture.png
Looks pretty bad to me. Sandbags out along the prom.

Graham
Penzance