Biggest Atlantic swell of the winter

Graham Easterling

Feb 20, 2022, 7:07:42 AM2/20/22
to Weather and Climate
Ireland set to take the brunt of it.

Tomorrow morning

2022-02-20 11_34_30-Capture.png

2022-02-20 11_37_37-Capture.png

This time Cornwall is further away from the main generation area, so the swell will have time to clean up, the faster long period swells being separated from the rest, so if there's a lull in the wind, some great surfing on the way, for those brave enough.

Just got back from a coffee at the Jubilee Pool cafe, hard to stand crossing the road. Winds backed just enough to be alongshore, rather than offshore as it was with the recent event.

Graham
Penzance

jack.h...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2022, 9:03:29 AM2/20/22
to Weather and Climate
Graham.  Do you surf yourself or was that in a former life?

Jack

Graham Easterling

Feb 20, 2022, 10:27:10 AM2/20/22
to Weather and Climate
A former life. Now I'm 70 my sense of balance has gone, it was never that good. I do enjoy bodyboarding still. Living at the top of a cliff a mile from Lands End you couldn't help being interested in the sea & the weather. Even as a young lad I used to love just sitting & watching the sea.

Back in the early '70s my closest mate was the lifeguard at Sennen for a few years. When I was 16 my parents had to leave Sennen, so I moved in with a mate, so I left home pretty young and had an eventful few years.

1971, Mike the lifeguard, Dave who I moved in with, and there are always girls where there is a lifeguard. The dog was called Candy.
1971 Sennen2.jpg
Happy days!

Graham

Graham Easterling

Feb 20, 2022, 12:41:16 PM2/20/22
to Weather and Climate
Sea conditions in west Cornwall are now really atrocious. There's a big powerful swell, 2 hours to high tide and it's already surging up the valley at Vallendreath, way above the normal Spring high tide mark. The sand's being stripped away, Eunice hardly touched it.

2022-02-20 17_29_26-Capture.png

The wind isn't quite as strong, but recent 74mph gust at Lands End. The strongest gust I found for Eunice in west Cornwall was 93mph at TolPedn near Porthquarra. Thanks to John at https://www.landsendweather.info/

Nobody can say this weather isn't exciting!

Graham
Penzance