Penzance - Misses the rain - Just!

Graham Easterling

May 2, 2024, 11:02:29 AMMay 2
to Weather and Climate
Cloudy cool & mainly dry this morning. Just a very few spots of rain, nothing in the gauge.

Sunny periods & deep blue sky (between the clouds) this afternoon. Maximum so far only 14.8C, but feeling warmer in the strong sun and light F2 NW breeze.

Marazion webcam shows the sky rather well

2024-05-02 15_59_36-Capture.png

Sparklingly clear Atlantic air with excellent visibility.

Graham
Penzance

Len

May 2, 2024, 6:14:06 PMMay 2
to Weather and Climate
Just got back from a few days in London Knightsbridge.
A very thundery night last night but only 7 mm at St james's Park.
On journey back by train there was extensive flooding in all fields by rivers.
No wonder, there was 41 mm at Dunkeswell and 32 mm at Exeter.
Only 12 mm at Plymouth.

Len
Wembury

Graham Easterling

May 3, 2024, 7:02:18 AMMay 3
to Weather and Climate
We might have missed the rain over the last 48 hours, but we had plenty in April. 110.6mm - 141% of normal. I think those storms gave some spots their normal total May rainfall

More sparklingly clear skies this morning, everything looks so close. Virtually all the cloud is over the land. The cold sea at this time of year has some benefits

2024-05-03 11_54_39-Capture.png

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

May 5, 2024, 7:01:55 AMMay 5
to Weather and Climate
Still missing the rain. Just 0.3mm around 08:00 today, bringing the total to 0.4mm this month. The rain really perked up as it moved east towards Truro. Fairly sunny since 10:30.

Prom 11:55

2024-05-05 11_59_56-Capture.png

F4 directly onshore breeze chopping sea up. Better at NW facing Sennen.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

May 5, 2024, 10:54:08 AMMay 5
to Weather and Climate
Looking at this

2024-05-05 15_44_58-Capture.png

It's surprising I've only recorded 0.3mm of rain today, and nothing measurable since 09:00. The forecast did correctly suggest west Cornwall would miss any significant rain.

I must say, the temperature forecasts for Penzance on the new MetO trial forecasts are a vast improvement.

These are the forecasts, as of noon today.

 Old forecast
OldForecastNoonSunday.png

New Forecast
NewForecastNoonSunday.png

So, quite a difference 3-5 days ahead. Given that the old forecast has been averaging 2C, or slightly more, too low for a long time, this looks much more like it.

I wonder what new data they are using?

Graham
Penzance

2024-05-05 15_44_58-Capture.png