Named Storms (and named fine spells)

jack.h...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2024, 11:59:49 AMJan 7
to Weather and Climate
Why not also name fine spells (anticyclonic)?  I suggest flowers:
Aster
Bluebell
Candytuft
Daisy
Evening Primrose
Freesia

Zinnia

Jack

Len

Jan 7, 2024, 3:59:35 PMJan 7
to Weather and Climate
Arguments would ensue about impacts.
What about sunburn in summer and frosty roads in winter?

Len

jack.h...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2024, 4:21:55 AMJan 8
to Weather and Climate
"Arguments would ensue about impacts.   What about sunburn in summer and frosty roads in winter?"

Very true, Len, but I would turn the argument upside down.  Slightly convoluted reasoning.

While storms might be a nuisance for most people, there are those who might enjoy them: kite surfers, anglers taking advantage of abnormal river flows.  And indeed at least one airline pilot who liked the challenge of a strong crosswind - not so sure though about my passengers!

So although an anticyclone would be appreciated by most people, there are hazards such as Len mentions that would not be enjoyed by a proportion of the population.

Jack

Freddie

Jan 8, 2024, 5:03:26 AMJan 8
to Weather and Climate
There are ice and heat health warnings that cover at least some aspects of these hazards.  I like the idea, though :)

Graham Easterling

Jan 8, 2024, 6:12:58 AMJan 8
to Weather and Climate
While storms might be a nuisance for most people, there are those who might enjoy them: kite surfers, . . .

Kite surfers disregarding weather warnings, west Cornwall 2014.

Graham
Penzance