Remarkable weather in Cornwall

Graham Easterling

Aug 13, 2022, 4:01:12 AM8/13/22
to Weather and Climate
With the lack of sea breezes and a consistent drift of air down the peninsula it's been quite remarkable for temperature. Newquay 25C (heatwave level for Cornwall) at 08:20, warmest spot in the UK according to XCWeather.

Even Penzance currently has a MetO forecast max of 30C, the same as Exeter, though in practice I think that's unlikely to be the case.

With the SST now widely over 20C, it was 22C even out on Scilly @08:20.

There's never been a spell like this down here.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Aug 13, 2022, 8:27:05 AM8/13/22
to Weather and Climate
32C at Newquay at 12:30  - well St Mawgan which is on the cliff top. It's causing some real issues at Boardmasters. It's 22C at Sevenstones buoy https://coastalmonitoring.org/realtimedata/

I'm old enough to remember when we used to get cooling sea breezes, now any breeze makes minimal difference.

With the sea temperature so high, it could be interesting during an unstable cold sector N-NW wind in the autumn, perhaps a super dangler!

Graham
Penzance

Keith (Southend)

Aug 13, 2022, 8:41:12 AM8/13/22
to Weather and Climate
I think the autumn is going to get very interesting in many regions of the world.

Keith (Southend)

Len

Aug 13, 2022, 10:56:03 AM8/13/22
to Weather and Climate
I also noticed west Cornwall was the warmest place in the UK early morning.
I also noticed that Brittany was the warmest place in France at the time.
Must have been the same plume of warm air.

We in Devon took a couple of hours to catch up to those high temperatures.
Very unpleasant all round. I am looking forward to the break down.
I see storms on the radar atm well to the west of Cornwall drifting north.
They look like missing but at least it's a start.

Len
Wembury

Graham Easterling

Aug 13, 2022, 11:36:41 AM8/13/22
to Weather and Climate
The high cloud streaming ahead of those storms is now over west Cornwall. Also some altocumulus developing.

The bad news is that with some cloud cover & a thundery shower risk, the MetO forecast minimum for Penzance tonight is 20C.

Graham
Penzance

Ashley haworth-roberts

Aug 13, 2022, 2:06:10 PM8/13/22
to Weather and Climate
I see that the heatwave conditions in Ireland have set off an isolated inland thunderstorm,. Somewhere in the vicinity of Birr, County Offaly, I think. And heavy thundery rain is falling into the sea just west of Brittany.

Graham Easterling

Aug 13, 2022, 2:33:37 PM8/13/22
to Weather and Climate
An unstable thundery looking. very attractive sunset (from Sennen near Lands End)

2022-08-13 19_30_38-Capture.png

Graham
Penzance

Ashley haworth-roberts

Aug 13, 2022, 7:56:35 PM8/13/22
to Weather and Climate

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2022, 3:55:51 AM8/14/22
to Weather and Climate
I like that sunset but I fear that rain might be a dream.

Jack

Graham Easterling

Aug 14, 2022, 4:54:49 AM8/14/22
to Weather and Climate
It cooled off a bit (relatively speaking!, late yesterday afternoon, but was still around 23 to 24C at sunset when I was sitting outside the yacht. There were actually a very few spots of rain @ 09:00ish.

Once again the north coast is particularly hot, 27C @ Newquay @ 09:30, and it's not clear blue skies.

Graham
Penzance