Temperatures where they should be.

jack.h...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2021, 3:09:52 AM4/17/21
to Weather and Climate
The (BBC) presenters are all using this awful phrase.  I presume "where they should be" implies average or median.  But say so.

And they use expressions like "will reach 15 degrees if we're lucky" or "temperatures will be better".

There is no such thing as weather that is ideal for everybody.  Some might enjoy calm winds.  I doubt that would be ideal for kite surfers.  Cold Arctic air is not to everyone's taste but can be perfect for glider pilots.  Sunbathers want hot sun: many of us don't.  I have no experience of angling but for all I know, drizzle might be ideal.  There are many more examples of "good" and "bad".  Airline passengers might not always have enjoyed the turbulent ride into Aberdeen in a westerly gale.  As pilot, this was, for me, a thoroughly satisfying experience

So please weather presenters.  Do stop telling us that the forecast is for improving conditions (or similar language).  Just tell us what is expected and let us decide if that is good, bad or indifferent for what we want to do.

Jack

Graham Easterling

Apr 17, 2021, 12:26:26 PM4/17/21
to Weather and Climate
I hate the phrase "your temperatures" If my temperature was 12C I'd be seriously concerned, well dead actually.

On the MetO site, the UK outlook currently states:-
. . . . accompanied by breezy winds; these winds are also expected for the far southwest where gale force gusts could be seen . . .

Gale force gusts are a pet hate of mine. Apart from the fact the term "gale" has a precise meaning & refers to a mean wind speed and has nothing to do with gusts, it's continued misuse has devalued the word gale to a point where it just means a bit blustery. A true gale is a damaging event.

I look forward to the impending breezy wind with gale force gusts, at least it looks like improving for windsurfers. As for surfing, it's been a terrible period. At least a swell has finally arrived today. The far end of Sennen & Gwenver.
2021-04-17 17_23_06-Capture.png

Graham
Penzance

Len W

Apr 17, 2021, 6:05:19 PM4/17/21
to Weather and Climate
You will be glad to hear,
after gale force gusts the winds will ease and the clouds will melt away giving warmer temperatures.

Is that clear?

Len