Heatwave stats

xmetman

Aug 26, 2019, 8:04:36 AM8/26/19
to Weather and Climate
Well it's officially a heatwave across ten SYNOP stations across the UK, thats playing by the UKMO heatwave rules, and it looks likely that several more may join them by close of play today.

2019-08-26_125449.jpg

Here's a more detailed breakdown of this years heatwave days with Heathrow back on top thanks to the demise of Gravesend.

2019-08-26_125644.jpg

Jack Harrison

Aug 26, 2019, 1:10:22 PM8/26/19
to Weather and Climate

As you know Bruce, I am very impressed by your charts and graphs.  But may I dare to suggest a small modification to help old eyes?

You alternate rows with white background and pale grey – presumably to make it easier to trace across.  That certainly helps slightly but a greater contrast would make things even easier – or perhaps better still, more use of colour.

What I do find very useful on presentations such as this is a completely blank row every so often as that helps “keep the place”.  Or a row of dashes (or something like that) after say five rows/columns.

My vision is currently 6/6 but I have a history of eye problems (glaucoma, age related macular degeneration, cataracts) that have been well dealt with.  But the artificial lenses following cataract surgery mean that I have nil focussing ability so need different specs for different purposes: distance, reading, intermediate (computer).  So I do like optimum computer screen presentations.  Most 80 year olds have at least some of my issues to have to cope with.  Old age means managing problems and not hoping that they will go away – they won’t.

Jack

xmetman

Aug 27, 2019, 5:26:25 AM8/27/19
to Weather and Climate

Might get an additional fifth day for some areas today which will probably be the last I would have thought?

2019-08-27_102147.jpg

xmetman

Aug 28, 2019, 5:50:29 AM8/28/19
to Weather and Climate

2019-08-28_104603.jpg

I think this was the longest lasting of the three hotspells