Mean wind speeds across southern UK so far this year

xmetman

Sep 15, 2019, 11:48:46 AM9/15/19
to Weather and Climate

Here is a chart of mean wind speeds so far this year across the south of the UK.

All I do is add up all the hourly SYNOP mean wind speeds and take the mean.

A part from on top of Great Dun Fell the windiest place on the chart is the Sevenstones Lightship with a mean on 16.7 knots, in fact the central zone of the English Channel is surprisingly windy too.

Let me know if the values look reasonable and I haven't screwed up in some way.

2019-09-15_162227.png

Brian Wakem

Sep 15, 2019, 12:40:53 PM9/15/19
to Weather and Climate
Have you included all the zeros?  The mean for my station is just 0.7 knots, but it is very sheltered.

--
Brian Wakem
Lower Bourne, Farnham, Surrey

Jack Harrison

Sep 15, 2019, 1:34:14 PM9/15/19
to Weather and Climate
Scotland data please.  We are still [just] part of the UK:-)  But for how long?

Jack (born in England, living in Scotland but basically a European)

PS I do use that excellent word dreich and buy tatties at Sainsbury's

Graham Easterling

Sep 15, 2019, 3:36:05 PM9/15/19
to Weather and Climate
Looks OK to me, as far as Cornwall is concerned. Sevenstones really catches the wind if it's SE or NW, as it funnels around Lands End.

I think Gwennap Head would beat it, thought it's almost calm at the moment, it's been a very still day.

Take a look at February 1990, 3 days no data but 14 days exceeded 60mph,  4 days > 80mph, 1 day over 90mph. That's just a winter month I pulled out at random! It's a spot where not being able to stand is a common occurrence,

In fact Gwennap holds the English record for a low level site. From the MetO. The 1979 gale did a huge amount of damage west of Penzance, mainly roofs sucked out on the lee side.

Northern Ireland108 knots / 124 mph12 January 1974Kilkeel (County Down)
England103 knots / 118 mph15 December 1979Gwennap Head (Cornwall)
Scotland123 knots / 142 mph13 February 1989Fraserburgh (Aberdeenshire)
Wales108 knots / 124 mph28 October 1989Rhoose (Vale of Glamorgan)

Graham
Penzance

xmetman

Sep 16, 2019, 5:15:48 AM9/16/19
to Weather and Climate
Graham

Thanks to my wife who knocked at the door - we got a conducted tour of the tower on our holiday to Lamorna last year, and looked out through a huge pair of binoculars out to Sevenstones Lightship.

IMG_4149.png

It's a shame there isn't an AWS that produces a SYNOP report as they did in the past.

This chart from 1973 shows full SYNOPs from Gwennap coast guard station as well as from the Lizard lighthouse.

2019-09-16_100056.png

Of course the fact that the anemometer sits in a building on top of a 200 foot cliff might have some kind of effect on the wind speed!

I think all automatic lighthouses should be fitted with an AWS - it shouldn't be too complicate to do.

The electric supply is there and so are the comms - so what's the big problem?

If they used a Vaisala Hawk AWS they could simply plug a new one in if there were any sensor problems.