Cloud Classification?

Graham Easterling

Aug 17, 2022, 3:34:18 PM8/17/22
to Weather and Climate
How would you classify this situation?

CliffTopbeach mist020916.jpg

CTFogBMist020916.jpg

Very unstable, Cu & Cb, sea and cliff top fog!

Graham
Penzance

Freddie

Aug 17, 2022, 3:46:29 PM8/17/22
to Weather and Climate
Unstable and moist :)

Graham Easterling

Aug 17, 2022, 4:39:25 PM8/17/22
to Weather and Climate
Well yes!

Sometimes the cloud types for observers handbook isn't a great help, but I assume it's Cl7?
(Good example of cliff top fog though)

Graham

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2022, 4:42:04 PM8/17/22
to Weather and Climate
Isn't the fog bank somewhat nearer that the Cu / Cb?

Jack

Graham Easterling

Aug 18, 2022, 4:33:53 AM8/18/22
to Weather and Climate
Yes, the instability is set off by the rise up the cliffs (300') then a further rise up the hills behind. The Cu form immediately, the humidity 95%ish at sea level. As well as the cliff top fog, the steaminess over the beaches is evident.

A different day with a steaming beach, not uncommon at low tide as the sand warms, increasing evaporation which then condenses in the cooler air just above.  You can just see the 1st inland Cu.

SennenMist140711.jpg

It can get quite thick at times - horizontally at eye level.

I filed my photo under 'coastal' fog. However, from a cloud classification point of view, it seems that CL7 is the nearest, though certainly imperfect, fit. The sky is by no mean homogenous, so I just wondered what others thought. I do think Freddie's 'Unstable & Moist' sums it up, though that could also describe an aroused woman with mental health issues.

Graham
Penzance

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2022, 6:57:11 AM8/18/22
to Weather and Climate
Many years ago I used to fly in and out of Blackpool (Squire's Gate) airfield.  Being next to the sea it was (is) very prone to fog.  There was a lot of discussion as to the state of the tide and the fog.  Nobody came to any conclusions as to whether tide out (exposed wet sand) or tide in was the more likely to result in foggy conditions.

Jack