Warm SST's to the SW of UK

Keith (Southend)

Jul 21, 2016, 5:30:11 PM7/21/16
to Weather and Climate
Picked this up from uk.sci.weather, and was wondering what effect it may have on the remainder of our summer.

http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/sst/rtg_low_res/global_anomaly_oper0.png

Given southerly or southwesterly airflow should increase humidity levels and thunder risk.

Any thoughts?

Keith (Southend)

Len Wood

Jul 21, 2016, 6:09:41 PM7/21/16
to Weather and Climate
Although moist air is less dense than dry air, I don't think it is a good initiator of thunderstorms.
Potential instability has to be released over a good deep layer for a thunderstorm,

Moist surface maritime air from some warmish  water offshore is going to have precious little effect.
The arrangement of the larger scale dynamics is far more important.

Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast 🏄🏻

xmetman

Jul 22, 2016, 4:37:19 AM7/22/16
to Weather and Climate
Keith

That hot spot in the approach to the English Channel has appeared in the last couple of months.
There's even a Kelvin-Helmholtz effect in the latest central Pacific SST values at the moment.

Bruce.