Nor'easter and the storm without a name

xmetman

Jan 4, 2018, 5:25:02 AM1/4/18
to Weather and Climate

Unusually as far as I can tell, this low and the nor'easter that its producing of the coast of Virginia so far doesn't have a name!
The usual apologies for the contouring - a T+3 background field would help.

David Mitchell

Jan 4, 2018, 6:59:04 AM1/4/18
to Weather and Climate
Winter Storm Grayson? See post on uk.sci.weather and video from Twitter. Impressive.

Freddie

Jan 4, 2018, 7:10:54 AM1/4/18
to Weather and Climate

xmetman

Jan 4, 2018, 8:58:29 AM1/4/18
to Weather and Climate
I wonder if they've got "Larry" lined up for when they get to L?

xmetman

Jan 4, 2018, 9:08:24 AM1/4/18
to Weather and Climate
I never realised until now that Storm Grayson was a professional wrestler.

Storm Mick McManus just doesn't have the same ring about it does it.

Perhaps we'll eventually get corporate sponsoring of name storms in the not too distant future...

Storm McDonald?

Colin Youngs

Jan 4, 2018, 11:07:15 AM1/4/18
to Weather and Climate
<Perhaps we'll eventually get corporate sponsoring of name storms in the not too distant future...>

You can already "sponsor" pressure systems under the scheme run by the Free University of Berlin   http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/adopt-a-vortex/ .

It costs €199 to give your name to a depression.

Colin Youngs
Brussels

xmetman

Jan 4, 2018, 11:41:02 AM1/4/18
to Weather and Climate

Stephen Davenport

Jan 5, 2018, 8:49:17 AM1/5/18
to Weather and Climate

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 5:25:02 AM UTC-5, xmetman wrote:
Unusually as far as I can tell, this low and the nor'easter that its producing of the coast of Virginia so far doesn't have a name!
The usual apologies for the contouring - a T+3 background field would help.

========

To be pedantic, "Nor'easter" is the term for the cyclone itself.

As others have noted, it got a name - Grayson - but that and the names of other winter storms are just what The Weather Channel decided upon, starting a few years ago. There's nothing legislated by the NWS.

Stephen
Indianapolis, IN.