Warlingham - good thunderstorm

Tudor Hughes

May 18, 2022, 7:54:57 PM5/18/22
to Weather and Climate
Thunder first heard at  11.02 pm, increasing in loudness and frequency followed by intermittent moderate rain then a fairly short spell of really heavy rain.  All the lightning was cloud-to-cloud and there was quite a lot of it.  All over by just after midnight BST.
            Looking at the rainfall radar, upper air charts and the Blitzortung site I'd say that the activity had moved NNE at about 50 kn so there were probably no serious rainfall totals.
             Quite like old times, really.
      On the 0030 Radio4 forecast we warned to watch out for thunderstorms affecting Hampshire, Sussex and Surrey but by the time those words were uttered it had already been quiet here for 20 minutes.  I dunno.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham, NE Surrey, 557 ft, 170 m.

Freddie

May 19, 2022, 2:31:24 AM5/19/22
to Weather and Climate
On Thursday, 19 May 2022 at 00:54:57 UTC+1 Tudor Hughes wrote:
      On the 0030 Radio4 forecast we warned to watch out for thunderstorms affecting Hampshire, Sussex and Surrey but by the time those words were uttered it had already been quiet here for 20 minutes.  I dunno.

I think that was meant for later in the night :)

--
Freddie
Alcaston

Metman2012

May 19, 2022, 2:35:04 AM5/19/22
to Weather and Climate
We had a lot of lightning with a bit of rain at about just after 1030pm. Even though the flashes were bright, there was no discernable thunder (and I was listening carefully), so why did this happen?. The rain eased off then started again with more lightning, this time with thunder. It was all cloud to cloud. There was a short burst at 22.8mm/hr, so a heavy shower, but only 5.3mm deposited. The rain stopped by 1130pm, but still a few rumbles of distant thunder.  Best display for a while.

Tudor Hughes

May 19, 2022, 9:35:20 AM5/19/22
to Weather and Climate
Well, I go to bed pretty late and there was no further thunder here.  There was a little light rain at Gatwick around 06Z but no Cb and no thunder.
Rainfall total here 10.9 mm.

Tudor Hughes

Freddie

May 19, 2022, 11:50:14 AM5/19/22
to Weather and Climate

On Thursday, 19 May 2022 at 07:31:24 UTC+1 Freddie wrote:
On Thursday, 19 May 2022 at 00:54:57 UTC+1 Tudor Hughes wrote:
      On the 0030 Radio4 forecast we warned to watch out for thunderstorms affecting Hampshire, Sussex and Surrey but by the time those words were uttered it had already been quiet here for 20 minutes.  I dunno.

I think that was meant for later in the night :)

Yes, I meant it was the thinking at the time of the broadcast that there would be a second pulse of activity later in the night, albeit not as severe as the first.  As things turned out, the second pulse did come along, but it was slightly later than originally thought and displaced further south.  So a definite error in the forecast.