Today's BBC forecast

xmetman

Jun 4, 2018, 11:53:46 AM6/4/18
to Weather and Climate

I couldn't wait another hour to do this comparison...
The stubborn low cloud in central and eastern areas has kept temperatures lower than were forecast to be.
The sea breeze at Plymouth masks the fact that temperatures must have been around 25°C across a number of places in the southwest this afternoon.

Freddie

Jun 4, 2018, 12:59:12 PM6/4/18
to Weather and Climate
24.7 in the Rhondda in glorious sunshine :-)

--
Freddie
Ystrad

Trevor Harley

Jun 4, 2018, 1:49:52 PM6/4/18
to Weather and Climate
One thing that has been annoying me recently is that 21 in Central Scotland. It's been a recurring feature. It's closest to Edinburgh, but it's not 21C in Edinburgh today, George will tell you. And what about Glasgow? Stornoway deserves its own temperature but Glasgow doesn't?

xmetman

Jun 4, 2018, 2:07:19 PM6/4/18
to Weather and Climate
Don't get me going on that one!

My home town of Sheffield is caught between Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham and is never gets a mentioned in any maps.

What about Exeter down in the southwest, its always Plymouth!

I suppose the truth of the matter is that there's only room for a certain number of locations to be highlighted on the map, but at least they could be rotated!

George in Edinburgh

Jun 4, 2018, 4:15:49 PM6/4/18
to Weather and Climate
Brief excursion to 13.5C  @ 1335 GMT otherwise between 12.5C and 13.0C most of the time. Now down to 10.5C.

George in Swanston, Edinburgh. 575'asl'

Len W

Jun 4, 2018, 4:16:43 PM6/4/18
to Weather and Climate
Max in my garden this afternoon 25.0C
Mount Batten was reporting 23,4C at 1200 and 1400.
But David Braine on the BBC at 1850 was only talking about 20 and 21C being the max in Southwest.
Does he not look at the obs?

Personally I think the BBC forecasts/presentations have deteriorated since they became dependent on Meteogroup.

I despair.

Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast

Jack Frost

Jun 4, 2018, 4:51:23 PM6/4/18
to Weather and Climate
Out of interest, does anyone know how much of their time is devoted to making a forecast? I guess if they have loads of different things to do on a shift it might be tricky to keep track of actual observations, and to amend their presentations etc to include them. I have no idea what a typical day of a BBC weather presenter is!

Liam in sunny Chicago (though which has just had its wettest May on record)

xmetman

Jun 5, 2018, 4:33:19 AM6/5/18
to Weather and Climate
That's a very good question.

It seems to me the forecaster at regional centres has a very cushy number compared to those at the BBC HQ.

quaesoveritas

Jun 5, 2018, 4:44:14 AM6/5/18
to Weather and Climate
I can't understand why Newcastle is on the BBC National map, but not on the local map on "Look North".

xmetman

Jun 5, 2018, 5:01:00 AM6/5/18
to Weather and Climate
I think it's because they want to be seen as caring about the weather in smaller towns and villages of the region.