Can this be correct, Kew and Heathrow the same?

Len

Jul 25, 2019, 2:34:11 PM7/25/19
to Weather and Climate
This defies basic science for heat balance at the surface.
At Kew there will be more of the available heat taken for evapotranspiration (latent heat) leaving less as sensible heat to heat the air above the surface.

Admittedly these are monthly means but nonetheless you can't tell me that Heathrow has the same microclimate as leafy Kew.

Len
Wembury

Julian Mayes

Jul 25, 2019, 2:41:51 PM7/25/19
to Weather and Climate
They are often the same, or within a fraction of a  degree or two.

I've just passed the Kew Gardens figure on to Colin for the extremes list (the extras list).  You'll see from that tonight (and on many nights) that the top 10 are incredibly close.    The idea that heathrow stands out hotter than other sites is a myth - it may come top quite often, but not by much. Kew Gdns is a sheltered sun-trap, probably more sheltered than H .

 Julian

Julian Mayes

Jul 25, 2019, 2:44:12 PM7/25/19
to Weather and Climate
Sorry Len - in haste I thought you were referring to the fact that they have the same max temp today, 37.9C.   The answer is to check the averages table in the MO website which I don't have time to do now.  They'll not be far apart - and H is higher too.

Regards  Julian