Sitting out the gale.

jack.h...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2024, 5:34:44 AMJan 31
to Weather and Climate
I need to go out but will have to wait for the cold front, after which the current gale should abate.  It should pass thorough around 1300 hours give-or-take.

But I am reminded of the late 1970s when, in the Air Force, I was based in Lincolnshire.  All RAF stations in those days had REAL met men who would give briefings to squadrons.  We had an east European, Max Meeken.  Max would say in a rich Polish (or was it Czech?) accent: "The cold front will be through at 1412 - maybe 1415"

I recall Max being hurt one weekend.  He had been breaking up some coal in the coal shed, and a piece flew into an eye.  He recovered, but was not best pleased about the inferior quality of British coal.

Jack