Below Freezing on Cairngorm for solstice

xmetman

Jun 21, 2018, 4:25:12 AM6/21/18
to Weather and Climate

It's not unheard of course, even at this time of the year, but temperatures have been sub-zero on top of Cairngorm for the summer solstice, and I did see reports of snow falling yesterday on the high tops above Glen Coe.

I wonder just how many wild campers are up there at the moment with a wind chill at 07 UTC of -10.6°C?

quaesoveritas

Jun 21, 2018, 5:03:50 AM6/21/18
to Weather and Climate
Temp. here fell dramatically at midnight, from about 19c to 12c in about an hour.
By 06:00 it was only 8c, which is one of the coldest mornings for some time.
It is now only 16c and feeling distinctly chilly, but it has rarely been very warm in the NE this year.

Alan Barker

Jun 21, 2018, 5:19:24 AM6/21/18
to Weather and Climate
There were plenty of snow patcheson the Cairngorms when we were on holiday in the area a couple of weeks ago. Was it last year that all the snow patches melted in the Scottish Highland for the first time in many years?

xmetman

Jun 21, 2018, 6:52:58 AM6/21/18
to Weather and Climate
Yep! They all went last year and even with the snowy winter I'll bet they go again this one.

xmetman

Jun 21, 2018, 7:24:41 AM6/21/18
to Weather and Climate

The 24 hour moving mean temperature has been falling since the end of May.

xmetman

Jun 21, 2018, 11:14:19 AM6/21/18
to Weather and Climate

Brian Wakem

Jun 21, 2018, 11:21:35 AM6/21/18
to Weather and Climate
Slightly confusing chart there Bruce as the numbers don't match the scale colours.  I assume the numbers are Fahrenheit but the scale is in Celsius!?

xmetman

Jun 21, 2018, 12:31:12 PM6/21/18
to Weather and Climate
Sorry Brian it's been a bit hectic here today!

I was going to remark about how the warmth over Europe will be replaced by the cooler plunge further north.

It will come as a bit of shock to those in Poland I should imagine.

I've been reworking my SYNOP app this week and must have undone the units flag and the map as you say should have been labeled °F.

xmetman

Jun 23, 2018, 3:09:32 AM6/23/18
to Weather and Climate

Courtesy of Twitter & Iain Cameron