Continental high pressure holds firm

xmetman

Sep 6, 2016, 1:48:35 PM9/6/16
to Weather and Climate

Despite three vigorous and remarkably similar depressions brushing up against the NW of the British Isles in the next five days, the continental high pressure refuses to budge according to the latest run of the GFS model, the first one develops on Thursday, another on Friday and a third on Sunday.

Scott Whitehead

Sep 6, 2016, 4:02:23 PM9/6/16
to Weather and Climate
Interesting repercussions down the line. Record heat in parts of Iberia and extreme rainfall in parts of Greece. Corfu airport reporting 15 inches of rain over past 24hrs to 1800z today - though am unsure if this is an error?
greece.JPG

xmetman

Sep 6, 2016, 5:30:04 PM9/6/16
to Weather and Climate
a decimal point slipped I reckon!

Paul Garvey

Sep 7, 2016, 12:26:25 PM9/7/16
to Weather and Climate
Just very typical zonal conditions with a pressure gradient across the UK from lower to the N/NW and higher to the S. Once upon a time I often used a proxy of high pressure in Berne (central continental Europe) in my forecasts, if the forecast was for zonal conditions in the UK.