Typical Moray Firth Sky

Jack Harrison

Aug 29, 2019, 11:34:44 AM8/29/19
to Weather and Climate

29th August.  Even though there were nearby fronts

19-08-29-010A-Nairn.jpg

the rain shadow often results in bright (rather than direct sun) and often trivial amounts of rain - giving conditions like this.

19-08-29-010-Nairn.jpg

Jack

Freddie

Aug 29, 2019, 11:53:44 AM8/29/19
to Weather and Climate
We get a similar effect in Shropshire, to the lee of Wales.  Some of our best visibilities occur in warm sectors.

--
Freddie
Dorrington

Trevor Harley

Aug 29, 2019, 1:23:19 PM8/29/19
to Weather and Climate
Just the same around Dundee, sheltered by the Trossachs, Sidlaws, Grampians, and Cairngorms. I'm amazed we get any rain at all.

Graham Easterling

Aug 29, 2019, 2:20:31 PM8/29/19
to Weather and Climate
We get excellent visibility just as the warm sector starts arriving, under the slowly lowering veil of frontal cloud. There's a saying at Sennen, if you can see Scilly it's going to rain.

Also in 'foggy' warm close to high centre. That me seem strange, but out of the banks of sea fog the visibility is normally excellent. You can look across Mount's Bay at various banks of fog, some sea fog banks, more associated with uplift on the SW facing headlands, and at the same time see the LIzard Point so clearly it's as if you can touch them, the excellent visibility shrinking distance so. (The best conditions for getting seriously sunburnt.)

A particularly dramatic picture to illustrate the point, not mine though I discussed at the time. John Chappell ( http://www.landsendweather.info/ ) and I both being confident the the dramatic feature was associated with the onset of the north coast sea breeze rolling past Lands End. Picture looking west, fog bank moving south.

050818SBFrontLands-End.jpg

Graham
Penzance