2016 SEP 15/16: overnight storms Dorset

Martin Rowley [West Moors/East Dorset]

Sep 16, 2016, 4:19:22 AM9/16/16
to Weather and Climate
.... Haven't read my rainfall yet - too busy with other things, but Hurn SYNOP will understate. Link to local paper summary says it all . . .

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14747214.Storm_updates__Homes_struck_by_lightning__schools_closed__thousands_without_power__RBH_without_phones_and_flash_flooding/

Storm began here 15/2350Z (first distant rumble), then by 16/0015, by flash rate and intensity, a 'moderate' thunderstorm, but with several close-by CG strikes - local lights off for about half-an-hour. Torrential rain between 0010 & 0130Z. My low-tech electronic gauge gives 28 mm but I suspect I'll find more later.

I did think at one point we'd get away with it as the convergence line was to our north and west - and the focus of initial activity was to the north, but dynamic building of cells individually and in clusters spread the activity across a large area of Dorset as the  upper trough stalled initially, then swung slowly east.

Sort of "That Was Fun - Part II"!

Martin.

Martin Rowley [West Moors/East Dorset]

Sep 16, 2016, 4:49:41 AM9/16/16
to Weather and Climate
... Just done a rainfall reading: 30.4 mm, the bulk of which would have fallen between 0010Z and 0130Z (~80 mins).

Martin.

xmetman

Sep 16, 2016, 7:03:36 AM9/16/16
to Weather and Climate