Record low arctic sea ice

Len

Jul 27, 2020, 10:10:44 AM7/27/20
to Weather and Climate
Arctic sea ice extent (blue line in graph below) is at a record low for this time of the year.
What does this mean for our climate?
Hard to say but the last time we had such a low area of sea ice was in 2012,
so I have looked up how seasonal rain and temperature turned out in Wembury for summer, autumn and winter.

Below average temperatures and decidedly wet I am afraid.

Summer 420.6 mm (30 yr average 207 mm)
Autumn  420.2 mm (30 yr average 295 mm)
Winter    470.6 mm (30 yr average 318.8 mm)

Arctic sea ice is of course only one influence on our climate.

image.png

Len

Keith (Southend)

Jul 27, 2020, 2:05:17 PM7/27/20
to Weather and Climate
image.png isn't included.

Keith (Southend)

Alastair B. McDonald

Jul 27, 2020, 2:40:18 PM7/27/20
to Weather and Climate
On Monday, 27 July 2020 at 19:05:17 UTC+1 Keith (Southend) wrote:
image.png isn't included.

Keith (Southend)

Keith (Southend)

Jul 27, 2020, 3:21:39 PM7/27/20
to Weather and Climate
Thank you.

Keith (Southend)

Len

Jul 27, 2020, 6:03:39 PM7/27/20
to Weather and Climate
This was meant to be included:

Alastair B. McDonald

Jul 28, 2020, 3:37:06 PM7/28/20
to Weather and Climate
You can get to the interactive version by clicking on the chart on the lower right of the page I linked to.

Tim Furdui

Jul 29, 2020, 6:01:02 AM7/29/20
to Weather and Climate
Thats REALLY bad news for the Arctic - although probably not surprising - seeing how warm Siberia was during the past 10 months
it remains to be seen if it can make a quick recovery but i very much doubt

And the Antarctic is also having some rough times nearly reaching minimum low (and is mid-winter there) with some very notable ice loss regions - again - dread to see what summer will bring there ....

All in all - i think is very concerning and probably too late to stop this trend