West Cornwall - Huge Swell

Graham Easterling

Dec 12, 2021, 4:22:40 AM12/12/21
to Weather and Climate
A succession of really big sea's lately, huge again this morning. It's been hard to tell what's salt spray & what's mist.

Sennen webcam 09:10 The sea's been sweeping up in huge surges & cutting into the dunes for a few days now. Wind's backed along/offshore & I can't say it's improved..

2021-12-12 09_16_24-Capture.png

No mention on the forecasts, after all it's not blowing a gale, so the sea must be calm.  I noticed DB on Spotlight showed what he described as 'quiet sea conditions' with a clip of a sheltered part of the south coast a couple of days back, he should have had a look at the north coast. It's been surging up the river at Perranporth.

Last 24 hours (to 09:00) Min 11.1C, Max 13.0C.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Dec 12, 2021, 8:15:32 AM12/12/21
to Weather and Climate
Approaching half tide now, yet it's still surging up the valley at Vallendreath & covering the beach. It's way above where it should be.

2021-12-12 13_09_37-Capture.png

These big set's raise the overall sea level so much, yet the effects aren't modelled at all to my knowledge. So vastly different to the tide levels shown for Newlyn.

No surfers, it is currently very dangerous.

Graham
Penzance