Winter in Africa

xmetman

Jan 30, 2018, 9:10:42 AM1/30/18
to Weather and Climate

Winter in Africa (link)

These are the observations from the observatory on Tenerife for the last 24 hours.

John Hall

Jan 30, 2018, 11:47:12 AM1/30/18
to Weather and Climate
Lovely. :) Is that the observatory halfway up Mount Teide? If so, Wikipedia indicates that it's at about 7,000 feet. (I don't hold with these new-fangled metres.)

Keith (Southend)

Jan 30, 2018, 12:32:59 PM1/30/18
to Weather and Climate

John Hall

Jan 30, 2018, 2:24:42 PM1/30/18
to Weather and Climate
Thanks, Keith. It's doing its best to imitate Mount Washington at present. :)

Brian Wakem

Feb 1, 2018, 6:00:02 AM2/1/18
to Weather and Climate
I see yesterday they had 43.2mm of precip and the temp didn't rise above zero (also peak gust of 77mph).  In fact they've had 77mm of precip now that must all be snow.  It's a shame they don't report snow depth.

Brian Wakem

Feb 8, 2018, 4:08:29 AM2/8/18
to Weather and Climate
The wind reached 99mph yesterday and the temp has been below freezing for about 10 days.  The snow must be several feet deep.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=60010&ndays=30&ano=2018&mes=02&day=08&hora=12&ord=REV&Send=Send

John Hall

Feb 8, 2018, 4:20:11 AM2/8/18
to Weather and Climate
Impressive! It looks as though they, counter-intuitively, use pale blue for temperatures below 1C, so there have actually been a couple of days where it got just above freezing.

Keith (Southend)

Feb 8, 2018, 6:25:59 AM2/8/18
to Weather and Climate
My Mother-in-Law was in Lanzarote last week and the weather has been dire. Cold, wet at time and windy.

Keith (Southend)

Brian Wakem

Feb 9, 2018, 3:56:44 AM2/9/18
to Weather and Climate