Thursday 28 February 2018 - coldest since 1785

xmetman

Mar 1, 2018, 8:01:50 AM3/1/18
to Weather and Climate

I did think that yesterday’s cold was exceptional for late February, but it wasn’t until I download the finalised daily CET data from the Met Office this morning that I realised it had in fact been the coldest 28th of February since 1785 in Central England – that’s 233 years ago.

John Hall

Mar 2, 2018, 5:33:54 AM3/2/18
to Weather and Climate
It also looks like it had the lowest maximum since daily maxima and minima became available, which seems to have been round about the 1870s.

Pete B

Mar 2, 2018, 6:18:05 AM3/2/18
to Weather and Climate
It's good to see a cold date record rather almost broken for once rather than high date records that have been broken or nearly broken in recent years Autumn months.