Cirrus and Cirrostratus over SW

xmetman

Nov 6, 2016, 3:41:43 AM11/6/16
to Weather and Climate
I'm not quite sure where all the cirrus and the cirrostratus that's currently lying down the spine of the SW peninsula this morning originated but it does make for a good picture.

This is it from space.

And here's the analysis

I suppose it may have been the remnants of an old trough that pushed south in the flow from further north.

xmetman

Nov 6, 2016, 3:57:28 AM11/6/16
to Weather and Climate
According to the nearby LCBR at Exeter airport that's 5 oktas 18,000 and 5 oktas 22,000 feet in their 0800 UTC AWS observation.

Martin Rowley [West Moors/East Dorset]

Nov 6, 2016, 4:25:58 AM11/6/16
to Weather and Climate
... I think you've got it Bruce: at 300 mbar - a sharp (and notably diffluent) trough at that level appears to tie in nicely with the observed cloud structure - on latest animation the actual shape of the trough is well marked. We've got a lot of embedded ex-COTRA here too.

Martin.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn0015.gif