Swanston, Edinburgh-rainfall

George Booth

May 23, 2024, 6:59:37 AMMay 23
to Weather and Climate
In the 24 hours from 0900 GMT yesterday (22.05.2024) to 0900 GMT today (23.05.2024) we had a total rainfall of 68.4 mm. The wettest day since I began recording here in January 2014. Also a higher total than any day in my previous location (Epping) where I kept records from January 1979 to December 2013.

Still raining steadily at Midday.

George in Swanston, Edinburgh

jack.h...@gmail.com

May 24, 2024, 1:39:35 AMMay 24
to Weather and Climate
Not far from you George:  Edinburgh by-pass delays.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckrr9949epeo

Surprised anyone noticed the difference from normal!

Jack

George Booth

May 24, 2024, 7:23:23 AMMay 24
to Weather and Climate
A further 77.8 mm to 0900 h this morning. Grand total for 2 days of 146.2 mm.

Much flooding and disruption to traffic. Seems to happen, heavy rain or snow, every couple of years or so.

Edinburgh bypass is not a terribly good read in these conditions.

George

Julian Mayes

May 28, 2024, 9:33:54 AMMay 28
to Weather and Climate
George, that's incredible for a 2-day total. Incredible also that it (or the effects) did not get attention on national TV / media.   Or maybe not that surprising.

Julian

George Booth

May 29, 2024, 8:01:23 AMMay 29
to Weather and Climate
Looking at SEPA automatic rain gauge data for this area the Bush Estate (2 miles to south) had a total 2 day rainfall of 141.6 mm (Swanston 146.2 mm). Other nearby SEPA sites are all greater than 100 mm. Whenever we have NE'y winds a high  volume of precipitation is not unusual. This is the setup which has led to heavy snowfalls in recent years-although the snow cover doesn't last more than a few days. I presume the air off the sea is forced to rise over the progressively rising ground producing enhanced precipitation.

The resulting traffic chaos was the worst I have seen up here. The nearby bypass was closed by floods from mid afternoon to late evening. Sat Navs then direct traffic onto our road which suffered similar queues.

I should add that I use a SEPA standard 5" gauge which does not appear on their map. I'm out there at 0900 h every morning.

George, swanston, Edinburgh

Julian Mayes

May 29, 2024, 11:33:57 AMMay 29
to Weather and Climate
Thanks for the additional info, George.   It looks like parts of the city are getting hit by hvy showers again this afternoon - this time presumably due to convergence of the W flow against the sea breeze.   Impressive monthly rainfall total so far on your website!
Much less eventful down south - 6-7/8th cu and st'cu spreading out.   :(

Julian   (Molesey, Surrey)