The sun shines on the righteous

Graham Easterling

May 6, 2023, 8:07:28 AM5/6/23
to Weather and Climate
With the lightest of offshore winds, some bursts of sunshine here in Penzance, pushing the temperature >16C. Also, with the very high humidity some ideal conditions for my first cold water swim of the year. (SST at the Penzance buoy 13.3C, about the highest in the UK.)

Some breaks in the cloud even on the windward coasts, but the slightest uplift giving cliff top fog, and once again preventing flights to Scilly.2023-05-06 13_01_08-Capture.png
Big tides at the moment.

A few English down on holiday, but some seem to be spending a pleasant spring day indoors watching an event in their home country, where it's raining.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

May 6, 2023, 8:16:09 AM5/6/23
to Weather and Climate
I meant to add, because of the location of the local reporting stations, the visibility report on sites such as XCWeather is poor. However, in Penzance it's excellent.

Penzance webcam 13:00 showing the Lizard point clearly, to the left of the visiting cruise ship. That's a good 45 minutes drive away.

2023-05-06 13_12_30-Capture.png

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

May 6, 2023, 10:19:57 AM5/6/23
to Weather and Climate
18C - Warmest day of 2023.

Graham
penzance

Len

May 6, 2023, 6:18:02 PM5/6/23
to Weather and Climate
' but some seem to be spending a pleasant spring day indoors watching an event in their home country, where it's raining. '
No it isn't. Wonderfully sunny here this afternoon in Devon too. Devon is also a lovely country. In fact so is Suffolk where I was born.

Len
Wembury

Graham Easterling

May 7, 2023, 4:45:05 AM5/7/23
to Weather and Climate
Well, the comment was clearly tongue in cheek! I appreciate it was a pretty good day in Wembury, though it is true to say there was a fair bit of rain around over SE England in particular. However all tongue in cheek comments hide a bit of a message. Cornwall is an ancient Celtic country with it's own language & traditions which are rather different to those across the Tamar, which is obviously the approximate limit of the Celtic traditions. That's not to say it's superior, that's clearly just a matter of opinion and I really enjoyed my few years in London, but it is very different. Especially as you head further west and the culture is less watered down.

Eventually reached 18.1C here, I measured the SST as 14C at the Battery Rocks, 13.3C further out at the Penzance buoy at the time (currently 12.9C)

There was actually quite a swell off the rocks, more than I expected, at the Penzance bouy.

2023-05-07 09_42_08-Capture.png
It was quite big on the west side of the Lizard, smaller on the north for a change.

Graham
Penzance

Len

May 7, 2023, 7:38:36 AM5/7/23
to Weather and Climate
Yes I appreciate it was tongue in cheek and one can be proud of one's own area and its traditions.
But it can be taken too far and a wish for independence appears.
A fat lot of good Brexit did for Cornwall and others.
The little England/little Cornwall mentality is foolish.
Separate yourself from the rest of the world at your peril.

Len
Wembury

Graham Easterling

May 7, 2023, 8:58:26 AM5/7/23
to Weather and Climate
I'm only replying because my views are totally misrepresented in your post.

I think you're mistaking being a proud Cornishman, which I am, with a desire for independence, which I've never expressed. I also most certainly did NOT support Brexit. Being proud of your heritage is fine and rather good to see, I know Ken's a very proud Yorkshireman for example.

Many of the issues which really matter, global warming, plastic pollution etc., are global, which is why I've been an active member of Greenpeace in the past.

I think you need to be careful about judging people.

Graham
Penzance

Len

May 7, 2023, 11:48:29 AM5/7/23
to Weather and Climate
I did not judge you Graham. You are taking things too personally.
I happened to comment that Cornwall, not you necessarily,  voted for Brexit.
That is not a judgement. It is a fact.

Anyway, it has been a great day.
Argyle are champions and my lifelong team (being a Suffolk boy) Ipswich are also promoted.

Still waiting for 20°C here.

Len
Wembury

Tudor Hughes

May 8, 2023, 11:16:14 AM5/8/23
to Weather and Climate
Whereas My Lot, awash with money and pushy Yanks, are a Shambles in E flat minor, Opus 1.  However, it did reach 20.0°C  yesterday.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham, Surrey