Why is Camborne so cold in summer?

Graham Easterling

Jun 1, 2024, 8:58:10 AMJun 1
to Weather and Climate
I often wonder why Camborne is quite so cold on a sunny summer's day. I'm sure the readings are OK, it is a manned station after all. I can only assume the sea breeze funnels up the valley the station sits in.

Even so, with todays fairly gentle N breeze, the sunshine means even on the exposed cliff tops at both Lands End & Newquay airport, it was 17C at 13:20. More exposed spots in an onshore breeze you'd be hard to find. Away from the immediate north coast it's 18C even up at Culdrose on the windswept Lizard plateau.

Meanwhile, Camborne 15C. The reports say mist, it isn't it's haze. Everywhere in west Cornwall has visibility only 4-8miles. Current webcam from Gwithian the nearest coast to Camborne. Same at Sennen this morning, though the sunshine was strong. Same in Penzance, Culdrose etc.

2024-06-01 13_51_17-Capture.png

It is extremely hazy despite the wind coming around an anticyclone just to the west. Normally I'd expect the visibility to be excellent in these conditions.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Jun 1, 2024, 9:42:39 AMJun 1
to Weather and Climate
Recent reports
Camborne 8000m
Newquay Airport 9000m
Culdrose 8000m 56% humidity
Plymouth, the worst 7000m 52% humidity.

Not what I'd call mist, just very hazy.

Graham
Penzance (19C - same as Plymouth today after the coolness of yesterday)

Len

Jun 1, 2024, 2:58:30 PMJun 1
to Weather and Climate
Yes, we have haze here too. It is making the sunset very milky yellow.
It shows well on the sat. pic but like you, I am not sure why it is there in the anticyclonic circulation.
Something very uniform and high at the cirrus level.
Haze 1 June 2024.png
Haze caused by pollution at low levels usually gives a colourful sunset.
There is still an hour to go before sunset, so we will see if it gets more colourful with time.
Max here today 20.5°C.

Len
Wembury

Len

Jun 1, 2024, 4:03:21 PMJun 1
to Weather and Climate
Apparently gas from  Icelandic volcanic eruptions.
Trapped below inversion that goes with sinking air in an antcyclone.
Sun was red for a while until disappearing as it got nearer horizon.

Len

Graham Easterling

Jun 2, 2024, 4:01:02 AMJun 2
to Weather and Climate
Thanks Len.

Graham

Graham Easterling

Jun 2, 2024, 4:11:15 AMJun 2
to Weather and Climate
Still there this morning, though looks much clearer now upwind.

2024-06-02 09_07_22-Capture.png

Last of the sea fog burning off the north coast (09:00).

Graham
Penzance