This is not just any June... this is a M&S June

xmetman

Jun 15, 2019, 9:01:49 AM6/15/19
to Weather and Climate

The upper cold trough that's stuck across our part of the world looks like it will see the rest of June out according to the latest GFS model run.

This unseasonably cool and wet weather is even seems to be getting Tomasz Schafernaker down in today's BBC forecast.

2019-06-15_135343.jpg

Surface MSLP and 850 hPa temperature charts courtesy of wxcharts.eu

Graham Easterling

Jun 15, 2019, 11:10:23 AM6/15/19
to Weather and Climate
April's but a distant memory

Graham
Penzance

Julian Mayes

Jun 15, 2019, 5:05:36 PM6/15/19
to Weather and Climate
Delighted to be able to keep the supermarket theme going........ This afternoon, as I walked into a supermarket I felt the blast of descending warm air that screens the air inside from the air outside -  I normally associate this with winter. With an outside temperature of about 16C, the heat produced inside the store would have suggested no heating or cooling needed (it was actually cooler in the store than under the warm air blast). Maybe this blast happens all through the year but normally in summer it is a cool one to keep out the warm air?

Sadly this was not an M & S air screen though (Waitrose warm air to be exact).

PS  As we now have at least two group members living in the Inverness area, writing this I'm reminded of friends who lived there who said they had everything they could possibly need there - with the exception of John Lewis and Waitrose.

Julian

xmetman

Jun 15, 2019, 5:54:07 PM6/15/19
to Weather and Climate
That's so right Julian. It was only in the last few years that Waitrose and John Lewis moved to Exeter which made the visit into town a lot more enjoyable if that's the right word!

Jack Harrison

Jun 15, 2019, 10:57:26 PM6/15/19
to Weather and Climate
Julian:

PS  As we now have at least two group members living in the Inverness area, writing this I'm reminded of friends who lived there who said they had everything they could possibly need there - with the exception of John Lewis and Waitrose.
But we have this:

N&D..jpg

Jack

Jack Harrison

Jun 15, 2019, 10:58:33 PM6/15/19
to Weather and Climate

Graham Easterling

Jun 16, 2019, 4:45:33 AM6/16/19
to Weather and Climate
As we now have at least two group members living in the Inverness area, writing this I'm reminded of friends who lived there who said they had everything they could possibly need there - with the exception of John Lewis and Waitrose

2 places I can honestly say I've not visited in > decade. My wife went to M&S yesterday, & did buy me a shirt - which is actually fine. She won't let me come with her as she says I moan, so a win for both of us. I did visit Inverness, a long while ago. I thought it had a bit of the end of the line feeling, rather like Penzance. I was on the way up to Inchnadamph.

I'm not a visitor of most chains, unless vinyl, books, wetsuits, coffee or alcohol are involved. Though I find Morrisons OK as the staff are human. As for Boots - if you can find someone to serve the queue that goes twice around the shop, they then point out to the person at the front that they can have a 3 for 2 offer. Then, when that person returns sometime later in the afternoon they can't find their Boots card. Meanwhile 2 people in the queue have fainted, and one has died of old age.Small shops are so much more relaxing. My sort of supermarket, Thornes in (relatively) plastic free Penzance

Thornes.jpg

It always amazed me, during the days when I had a holiday let, how many people struggled down to Cornwall, only to ask where the nearest M&S one was. You would think they could have found one nearer home.

Anyway, lovely day here yesterday, despite it still being on the cools side, at least there was >10 hours of sun at nearby Bosullow, and it was dry during daylight hours.

Graham
Penzance (no M&S, Waitresse or John Lewis.)

xmetman

Jun 16, 2019, 5:01:46 AM6/16/19
to Weather and Climate
It's more than what the weather's been like here cool even cold at times, little sunshine and rarely a dry day. Although we did get a work up on the ridge above the village (known as the cats back locally) yesterday evening. Even then it managed a shower but we did get a quite intense coloured rainbow for our efforts. Walked back to the house in daylight and was amazed to find that it was as late as 1010 PM.

Len

Jun 16, 2019, 10:16:51 AM6/16/19
to Weather and Climate
Was in London for a few days recently and you will be pleased about the following Graham.
Got into conversations with two Americans on two different occasions.
The first about 60 yr old from California who asked me where I was from. Devon I said.
He looked vague as though he had never heard of it. Near Cornwall I said. Oh he said, he had heard of Cornwall but not Devon apparently.
Of course he knew about Plymouth because of the Pilgrim Fathers.

The same thing happened later. This time a young lad in his twenties from Boston. Devon did not seem to be known but Cornwall was.
Once again he knew of Plymouth.

I wonder why this is.
Good publicity in the USA perhaps for Cornwall?
Or is just this funny bit of land on the edge of England sticking out into the sea that grabs their attention?

Len
Wembury, SW Devon

David Mitchell

Jun 16, 2019, 4:37:42 PM6/16/19
to Weather and Climate
Len, obviously rugby fans. Cornwall, County Champions, nuff said.

Tudor Hughes

Jun 18, 2019, 12:27:10 AM6/18/19
to Weather and Climate
If you venture as far as the Scilly Isles you can shop at Tresco.

Tudor Hughes

Graham Easterling

Jun 18, 2019, 4:27:28 AM6/18/19
to Weather and Climate
Done it

Day6 (22).jpg

Thought it wasn't really M&S weather

Graham
Penzance

Freddie

Jun 18, 2019, 5:55:05 AM6/18/19
to Weather and Climate
On Tuesday, 18 June 2019 05:27:10 UTC+1, Tudor Hughes wrote:
If you venture as far as the Scilly Isles you can shop at Tresco.

But he Asda get a boat to do that.

I'll get me coat....

--
Freddie