Green Flash

jack.h...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2022, 11:16:51 AM4/3/22
to Weather and Climate
I can't find the original thread apologies for repeat.

An absolutely crystal clear atmosphere is essential.  I have seen it three or four times from the ground but on numerous occasions when flying above  low level clouds.  A sharp horizon above a sheet of stratocumulus is perfect.  Once on a stepped climb (climb then level, then resume) I saw several green flashes departing Newcastle.  Sunset is of course later higher up.

But perhaps the best was over the North Sea when flying in a northwesterly direction towards Aberdeen.  Now the cruising speed wasn't quite matching the earth's rotation but it certainly prolonged the green flash. One evening when I realised that there was likely to be a green flash I got permission from Air Traffic Control to climb at the appropriate moment.  I was able to adjust the rate of climb to keep pace with the flash for some 30 seconds.

Flying towards the sunrise is less conducive to seeing a green flash.  It is not only over much quicker but you can never be quite sure when the sun will appear.

Another useful tip for seeing the flash is when there is a distant hill or mountain.  And just to annoy Graham, I once saw it when going on holiday to Polruan.  I can't recall exactly where but it was somewhere in the Looe area

Jack