Unusual April weather set to cause Chaos on Scilly.

Graham Easterling

Apr 10, 2023, 12:27:06 PM4/10/23
to Weather and Climate
It is the Easter holidays and, very unusually for April, the forecast for Wednesday is almost certain to cause chaos on Scilly.

There will hundreds of people trying to return home after the Easter weekend but . .

for travel by sea
"Due to the predicted forecast of rough sea conditions for Wednesday 12th April, the Scillonian III sailings have been cancelled for the safety and comfort of our passengers. All passengers due to travel on Wednesday have been transferred to Thursday’s sailings."

normally, you could transfer to Skybus (forget the helicopter, that only flies days with a W in the name on alternate weeks if it's fine. They have 59 reviews on Trip Adviser of which 26 are terrible - how they ever got a couple of million pounds of taxpayers money to fly a few ultra rich people direct to Tresco - oh of course, that's the reason) but the wind is now forecast to gust to 70mph near Lands End (which it managed to avoid doing almost all winter), so flights are very unlikely.

If you are on an off Island (ST Agnes say) then there'll be no boats to St Mary's. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10227371540927576&set=gm.2553327491484007&idorvanity=471788599637917

So, that's an issue for visitors. If there are flights on Wednesday, it's up to them to get to St. Mary's. So they really need to leave St. Agnes a day early & find accommodation for 1 night, difficult during the Easter holidays. Or stay on St Agnes & hope nobody can get there so they can stay on for an extra night & hope no flights take off so they get automatically rebooked..

Lots of permutations, none good. When I worked at Skybus to have this happen after a bank holiday would have been everyone's nightmare.

This is a very abnormal April, in fact several recent month's have been unusual - weather wise. On the plus side we've seen a lot of sun in Penzance today, and Penzance face SE so it's sheltered.

The sky at Hayle around 10:30 today

HayleHarbApr23 (2).JPG

Graham
Penzance