Northwest Passage almost ice free

xmetman

Aug 17, 2016, 9:52:20 AM8/17/16
to Weather and Climate

I noticed this story about a massive cruise ship the Crystal Serenity with 1,070 passengers has been given permission to set sail and navigate the southern route of the Northwest passage, according to NOAA. I hope they make it, or the they might have to rename the ship the Crystal Eternity or something similar.

Paul Garvey

Aug 18, 2016, 3:39:37 AM8/18/16
to Weather and Climate
Can't say I'm ever going to be happy about this, but it will happen with a melting Arctic. Despite the 'measures' the owners of the ship has taken, a cruise ship is a an awful invasion into a pristine ecosystem for the benefit of 1000 very well off people and huge profits for the owners. The cheapest cabins are over £15,000. ($21,000) Cruises are horribly bad for the oceans and could be disastrous here. The only way Crystal Serenity can attempt this is to be accompanied by an ice–strengthened polar logistics vessel, RRS Ernest Shackleton. Nice one British Antarctic Survey!

As you say Bruce, the passage is almost open and the strengthened hull of the Earnest Shackleton will probably be able to clear a route through the areas that are still blocked, as there is very little thick, multi-year ice in the NW Passage. Temperatures have been above average here, as it has not had the severe storms of the high Arctic and the Russian Arctic (Storms are forecast to continue, so no record low this year, as I've been saying). The Canadian Ice Service provides detailed maps so you can see ice thicknesses in the areas along the route.

I haven't looked at these maps for a couple of years, as the CIS stopped providing them publicly. They must have had a change of mind.