Graham Easterling

Aug 22, 2022, 4:37:01 AM8/22/22
to Weather and Climate
Penzance @  09:00 19C, Dewpoint 19C. (Currently 19/18 respectively on Scilly - the short range forecast location.) 18/18 at Lands End airport. So Muggy.

10.5mm of thundery rain 06:30-08:00. Correctly predicted by BBC/Meteogroup yesterday.

Graham
Penzance

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2022, 12:25:18 PM8/22/22
to Weather and Climate
Here today I had a discussion with my wife about the perceived heat.  Reports show around 21/09 so it wasn't particularly humid.  The word 'sultry' came to mind.

'Close', 'dreich' (Scotland) are just two examples of helpful words to describe the weather.  I knew what Graham's 'muggy' meant but there must surely be many more useful words and precise definitions?

Over to you.

Jack

Graham Easterling

Aug 22, 2022, 1:41:46 PM8/22/22
to Weather and Climate
Well 'humid' I suppose has a fairly precise definition, but really doesn't really describe how it felt.

On the plus side, there was still a swell, well several different short period ones giving some unpredictable interference patterns & peaky breaks. A reasonable bodyboarding wave if you were in the right in the right place at the right time. Simultaneous very light mizzle & bursts of sunshine at sea level. Dull over the hills, big difference from down on the beach.

High tide at Perranuthnoe.

IMG_20220822_150046.jpg

Temperature stuck between 20.5C & 21.5C much of the the day after only dropping to 17.1C last night.

Graham
Penzance

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2022, 2:02:47 PM8/22/22
to Weather and Climate
A word I use (maybe I invented it) is snizzle meaning snow drizzle (snow grains).

'Cr*p' is often used for poor weather but that is not particularly precise or descriptive.

Jack

Len

Aug 22, 2022, 6:01:58 PM8/22/22
to Weather and Climate
It has definitely felt clammy today.
Positively balmy.
Temperature 21°C and RH of 80%.

Had to strip off various layers of clothing on my afternoon walk.

Len
Wembury

Len