River levels and drought monitoring

Martin Rowley [West Moors/East Dorset]

May 13, 2017, 9:12:08 AM5/13/17
to Weather and Climate
... As noted elsewhere, the current reduced rainfall is beginning to start the bells swinging (without ringing out), down this part of the world anyway: one aspect to keep an eye on is the river level in your local area and this site is as good as any [though it's really there to monitor HIGH river levels principally] .... nice little 'dial' on each page to indicate how close to critical levels any particular sampling point is ....

https://www.riverlevels.uk/levels

When you click on your county of interest, you get a 'quick-look' in terms of green, amber, red of how each monitoring station is performing against 'normal' conditions which gives a nice overview at any one time.

Our nearest monitoring station is the Wimborne (R. Stour) location and shows that we're low, but not quite into 'amber' conditions.

https://www.riverlevels.uk/river-stour-oakley-wimborne

Martin.

Martin Rowley [West Moors/East Dorset]

May 13, 2017, 9:27:50 AM5/13/17